PDA

View Full Version : Sources in Gedcom

Betty
29 October 2005, 01:14 AM
When I exported my Gedcom by e-mail from old Mac to new Mac, I forgot to check sources, so I have a family file with no sources. If I repeat this with the sources checked, and make a new file with sources--is there a way to delete the first one? I can see no need to keep both. Or is there a way to just send sources? Thank you, Betty

fjvanbodegom
29 October 2005, 04:52 AM
From your question I understand that you used Reunion (and with exporting forgot to check sources) on an old Mac and want to use Reunion in your new Mac.
WHY you use Gedcom ? ? .... NEVER do this in the situation as described above.
The ONLY reason to use Gedcom is transporting from another genealogy programm.
But ... if you used Reunion, just import the old family file: File -> Import/Export -> Import Family File (does not matter what version of Reunion you use, except vs 3 or earlier)

In the manual there is a clear and good explanation how to do.
Just look at Help -> Upgrading

First question: Removing a file with the Mac OS is simple: just drag the file to the trash.
Second question: there is no possibility to 'send only the sources' to a family file.

Betty
31 October 2005, 12:20 AM
Frans: Thanks, everything is working great. The reason I used Gedcom is that we have a very slow dial-up.
Betty

fjvanbodegom
31 October 2005, 06:38 AM
Okay, there is a slight difference in size of a Reunion file and a Gedcom file.
My Reunion family file 23.5 Mb and compressed (with StuffIt) 5.4 Mb
Gedcom file 19.5 Mb and compressed 3.8 Mb
But ... even with a slow dial-up I should always choose to transfer the whole family file and not a Gedcom file.

Mary Arthur
31 October 2005, 08:23 PM
When I exported my Gedcom by e-mail from old Mac to new Mac, I forgot to check sources, so I have a family file with no sources. If I repeat this with the sources checked, and make a new file with sources--is there a way to delete the first one? I can see no need to keep both. Or is there a way to just send sources? Thank you, Betty

You don't say how old your 'old' computer is, but if a fire wire cable is possible, use it - best 'add on' I have bought.