PDA

View Full Version : Finding data in memo fields

Nick
26 October 2005, 06:40 PM
I have started to put names of streets, churches etc. in the memo field rather than in the 'place' field. This makes the Place List smaller and neater.

However, before I got too far, I tried finding the data in my memo field by Find --> Any Field. This drew a blank. The only way I could find the data,in the marriage memo field, for instance, was a specific search in the Marriage Memos.

This is not ideal: it would seem that to find all people born, died, etc. in a certain street, I would have to perform multiple searches, on each corresponding memo field.

Why does a search in 'Any Filed' NOT include Memo Fields?

I am hesitating as to continuing transferring this sort of data from the Place Field to the Memo Field.

Any thoughts on this would be most welcome. Many thanks.

Nick Michael

Susan Assmus
26 October 2005, 10:29 PM
I have been doing the same thing, but I haven't had any problems finding the names of churches, cemeteries etc that I moved from places to the memo field. I use the same find anything in any field. I am using OSX 10.3.9. When I have problems of any kind I always run Disk Utility to verify/repair permissions. So far that has taken care of any problems that I have had with various software programs. If you are using OSX and haven't tried that yet it may be a place to start.

fjvanbodegom
27 October 2005, 04:42 AM
With the 'Find Anything' you also can search on the memo fields from the Events.
But (and I think that is your problem) you had to choose WHERE to search.
Do you want a search in the memo fields from events from people or do you want a search in couples.
So the answer is easy: choose the right tab (People or Couples).
The 'problem' that Nick describes has nothing to do with the permissions of the OS X system.

AE Palmer
27 October 2005, 10:32 PM
Why does a search in 'Any Field' NOT include Memo Fields? A VERY GOOD QUESTION! Evidently, Leister folks didn't think we need to search on memo fields.

I ran into this problem some time back when I needed to make a global change to hundreds of memo fields - no such luck. A real bummer!

Methinks you should put the street data in with the rest of the "Location" info. In reality, the street info SHOULD be in with the rest of the place data. One method of making the resulting lists of names somewhat neater, is to use the "reverse sort" option. Ostensibly, it sorts place names backwards from the normal method of data entry. My experience with this option leaves me cold and have taken to entering place data in a strict region order (in reverse!). vis.: COUNTRY, State (province), County (parish), City (town), Street (and if necessary, Cemetery lot #). I grant you that it looks a tad unusual in reports. But once you are used to entering data in this format, it makes for very neat listings. It also has the advantage of displaying just how many ways there are in spelling any given place name.

This last problem is one of my pet peeves. Whenever I get data from other researchers, I wind up spending hours converting and consolidating place names.

For anyone interested, I offer a set of conventions that I use for data entry. Contact me at: <aepalmer AT a-znet DOT com>.

Nick
28 October 2005, 03:21 AM
Thanks for your observations: we share the same pet peeve! I have to admit being rather 'anal' in pruning and tweaking my place list until it is perfect. And those who have two or more entries for the same place because of a full stop or a hyphen in one and not the other, are certainly destined to burn in Hell for eternity.
That said, I am really loath to reverse the order of place names as you suggest, but as I think about it, there seems to be no good reason (apart from the 'logical' order that we have adopted on envelopes or in our way of thinking) why I shouldn't.
I am curious about your conventions for data entry and will contact you off-site as you kindly offer.

Nick

theKiwi
28 October 2005, 08:45 AM
My concerns with reversing the order of the entities in a place name are several:

*readability to everyone except me (heck even to me I imagine);

*the possibility of moving the data to another software at some future time where a reversed order might cause problems;

*what happens when you give some data to someone else who imports it into their software in which they keep places in order smallest ------> largest entity

*the continual struggle that would ensue whenever I get "normal" data from someone else that I'd then need to reverse so that it "fit" my database.

plink plink

Roger

Michael
28 October 2005, 01:57 PM
I have started to put names of streets, churches etc. in the memo field rather than in the 'place' field. This makes the Place List smaller and neater.

However, before I got too far, I tried finding the data in my memo field by Find --> Any Field. This drew a blank. The only way I could find the data,in the marriage memo field, for instance, was a specific search in the Marriage Memos.

This is not ideal: it would seem that to find all people born, died, etc. in a certain street, I would have to perform multiple searches, on each corresponding memo field.

Why does a search in 'Any Filed' NOT include Memo Fields?With the 'Find Anything' you also can search on the memo fields from the Events. But (and I think that is your problem) you had to choose WHERE to search. Do you want a search in the memo fields from events from people or do you want a search in couples. So the answer is easy: choose the right tab (People or Couples).I suspect Frans is correct here. If you were using the "Any Field" option on the "People" tab of the Find Anything window, then information in the Marriage Memo field will not appear. It will appear if you perform the same search on the "Couples" tab.
Evidently, Leister folks didn't think we need to search on memo fields.That's not correct. Reunion will search in memo fields. As mentioned above, it's possible that the searches were performed on the wrong tab in the Find Anything window.

Nick
28 October 2005, 02:59 PM
I have been working on this problem a little. I'm afraid to say that I now seem to be able to find data in the memo fields using 'Find anything'. I can't think why it didn't seem to work before, and I apologise. However:

If I do a 'Find anything' with the 'Couples' tab selected: Marriage memo -> doesn't contain -> [blank]
I should have a list of all couples that have a note in the memo field of their marriage details. I don't: it draws a blank.

Likewise, if I do a 'Find anything' with the 'Person' tab selected: Burial memo -> doesn't contain -> [blank]

I should get a list of all the people who have a note in the burial memo field. I don't.

This is a 'lesser' problem than the 'positive' find not working, but a problem all the same.

fjvanbodegom
28 October 2005, 03:19 PM
Your problem is easy to solve: you had to choose the correct conditions.
Choose: Mariage memo -> Is Not -> [blank]
The condition 'Doesn't contain' is completely different from 'Is Not'
Problem solved.

Nick
03 November 2005, 06:16 AM
Thanks Frans - problem solved indeed!

Nick (kicking self...)