PDA

View Full Version : Private Sources

Julianne
24 October 2005, 12:00 PM
I am readying my Reunion files to finally get my info on the internet. I have spent a lot of time making sure that the living people are marked "private". Next I need to go through my sources. I have just printed them out (10 pages!) to go through and reword in proper citation format (I've put this off long enough).

My problem is that I have many sources with names of living people, i.e. "email from so and so, at soandso@domain.com". How do I keep those sources but make sure that they are filtered out when I generate the data for my webpage?

thanks,
Julianne

AE Palmer
24 October 2005, 07:22 PM
My problem is that I have many sources with names of living people, i.e. "email from so and so, at soandso@domain.com". How do I keep those sources but make sure that they are filtered out when I generate the data for my webpage?

thanks,
Julianne

Each source can be marked for privacy

Amelia
25 October 2005, 12:44 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the first to reply, because I learned something new from AE Palmer's post! It sounds like Reunion will do what you want, Julianne, but I just wanted to add that if your sources are fellow researchers (as opposed to random relatives), they may not mind (and may prefer) having their names attached to the data they gave you. There are several benefits: people looking at your data can directly contact the source, which gives them a new contact as "thank you" for helping you; the name of the source may help others evaluate the reliability of the research (for example, I do extensive Morrow research - and there are people who I have great faith in and those I know use extremely dubious sources); and you waste less time just passing on contact information.

Personally, I make it a condition of handing over a gedcom that my name be attached if the data is reused. I want the contacts and the credit -- and the blame and the corrections. I've always (9+ years) posted researcher names of those who have helped me and have never had a request that one be removed.

That said, I don't recommend putting email addresses up without modification, particularly on a static Reunion sources page. I've munged the addresses in my list by replacing @ with -at- and otherwise adding junk characters that are clear to humans but not to spiders. And of course addresses and phone numbers should be kept private.

Amelia

David Gerhardt
25 October 2005, 04:21 PM
Here's a good site for masking e-mail addresses;
http://spam.getnetwise.org/tips/mask

David

Michael
25 October 2005, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=AE Palmer]Each source can be marked for privacy

Margaret Maulin
27 October 2005, 09:44 AM
I use a free form text source type for citing email sources. In the free form part I put the senders name, subject of the message and date and any other notes I want about the content of the message. In the source field I put the senders email address. Only the free form part of the sources shows in reports.
Margaret