PDA

View Full Version : Printing large charts

Frederic
18 October 2005, 11:23 AM
I used to define a paper size the size of my chart, save as PDF, and bring the resulting file to a printing service in town, they have plotters (is that the correct word?)... But now it doesn't work any more, my paper 42x1300cm (~15.5x512 inches) is not handle correctly by Reunion, it generate, somehow, more than 30'000 pages :confused:?? If I try to export as graphic, it says the maximal size is 455x455 in.
How do you do guys do to print large charts?

Thank you for your help!
Fr

ttl
18 October 2005, 03:42 PM
The limit of 455 inches is a limitation of the operating system. This applies to the size of graphics and it also applies to the size of pages. I think you're going to have to set up a page size of about 42 cm x 650 cm and print the chart on two pages.

Michael
18 October 2005, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=Frederic]I used to define a paper size the size of my chart, save as PDF, and bring the resulting file to a printing service in town, they have plotters (is that the correct word?)... But now it doesn't work any more, my paper 42x1300cm (~15.5x512 inches) is not handle correctly by Reunion, it generate, somehow, more than 30'000 pages :confused:?? If I try to export as graphic, it says the maximal size is 455x455 in.

Thank you for your help!
Fr

Frederic
06 November 2005, 05:31 AM
Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay, when I posted the question I was on 10.4.2 now I'm on 10.4.3.
I don't know about the virtual plotter feature, sound like a good one, how do I use it?
To set up my paper size I use the feature located at the end of the pull-down list of paper sizes, in the print setup window. If I translate what I have in French, you should see something like: "manage personal paper sizes".
To tell you the truth I'm not sure I tried to print such a big part of my tree before, maybe I would have had the problem then if I had tried to print the same part...
Thanks again.

Michael
07 November 2005, 05:58 PM
I don't know about the virtual plotter feature, sound like a good one, how do I use it?With the chart open, you'll find the Virtual Plotter settings under the Reunion 8 option on the Page Setup window (File -> Page Setup). Virtual Plotter is a holdover from the Classic version of Reunion. OS X's custom paper size will work just the same. Please be aware that you'll need to have OS 10.4.3 installed in order to see the Reunion 8 menu option. (http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/Version8/Problems8X.html#PSD)
To set up my paper size I use the feature located at the end of the pull-down list of paper sizes, in the print setup window. If I translate what I have in French, you should see something like: "manage personal paper sizes". To tell you the truth I'm not sure I tried to print such a big part of my tree before, maybe I would have had the problem then if I had tried to print the same part...The problem you mentioned seemed to be similar to one involving the use of the Virtual Plotter. Since that wasn't the case, I'm not sure what would have caused the problem offhand. You may want to try creating a new custom paper size to see if that helps. If you continue to experience problems, send me a copy of your chart file along with a few details about the problem. You can email me at help@leisterpro.com. Perhaps a closer look here will help.

ttl
07 November 2005, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure if the thousands of pages is due to the large paper size, but I can say that your chart will not print successfully until the paper size is defined to be 455 inches or less.

Normand Frenette
26 November 2005, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=Frederic]I used to define a paper size the size of my chart, save as PDF, and bring the resulting file to a printing service in town, they have plotters (is that the correct word?)... But now it doesn't work any more, my paper 42x1300cm (~15.5x512 inches) is not handle correctly by Reunion, it generate, somehow, more than 30'000 pages :confused:?? If I try to export as graphic, it says the maximal size is 455x455 in.

Thank you for your help!
Fr

mcdonald44
26 December 2005, 11:01 AM
We all will have the need for printing entire family history.

Am I sensing that you cannot reduce via page set-up so that an entire Family Tree can fit a standard size

8x11
8x14
11x17

Jack

David G. Kanter
26 December 2005, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=mcdonald44]

prothfield
27 February 2007, 04:31 AM
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong - I am using the virtual plotter option under page setup, when I have a chart open, then when I click Ok - my chart vanishes.
Thanks
Pam Rothfield
Australia

ttl
27 February 2007, 11:04 AM
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong - I am using the virtual plotter option under page setup, when I have a chart open, then when I click Ok - my chart vanishes.
Thanks
Pam Rothfield
AustraliaI think the best thing to do is stay away from this feature since it has recognized problems. If you need to define a custom page size, you should use the Page Setup options of the OS to do it.