PDA

View Full Version : newbie question on merging

hheafer
15 October 2005, 12:05 AM
Don't mean to ask a question that's been already covered but I did a search and this detail doesn't seem to be mentioned.

When merging two trees, or perhaps it might be better to say a branch that I want to merge into the main family tree that begins with the same person, I assume the birthdates and other pertinent information have to be the same on both cards in order for them to merge successfully?

I found another son to the patriarch of the family tree but I have two different dates of birth for the patriarch even though I know they are the same person.

Thanks for any comments.

fjvanbodegom
15 October 2005, 12:09 PM
If I understand your question correct, you want to add a new branche to the main file and two persons are identical.
You can merge 2 persons, even if dates etc are different.
Unmarke everybody first, then mark the two persons who are identical and choose the correct settings in the window Find Matches.
When Reunion detect that the birthdate on card A is different on card B and you merge card A and B together, Reunion mention both birthdays on the window 'Edit Person'. It is you to decide which is correct.
Only one birth date is visible on the familycard.

To find the double field entries: Find AnyThing -> Attributes -> Duplicated Fields
Might be this is helpfull.

hheafer
16 October 2005, 10:38 PM
Frans,

Thanks for your tip. I don't have any records marked in either folder. I do need to click the "no duplicate" button, or what it's called, as I did get many duplicates. The problem seems to be bringing this person and the rest of the file into the main file correctly so it shows as a son to his father.

I'll keep working on it. Perhaps if I add him to the main file as a son, it would help create the connection?

Thanks,

Hheafer

fjvanbodegom
17 October 2005, 09:15 AM
I understand that you have already imported this branche B in your main file A.
Then it is easy to connect those two branches. Go to branch A, choose the family card with the father, then click on the blue plus button and choose Existing Male Child, then choose the son (from branch B) you want to addby double clicking the name.