PDA

View Full Version : Color of Pop Up Buttons Family Card

DelbertCurlin
14 October 2005, 10:58 PM
I am using Reunion 8.06 with OSX 10.3.9 on a G3 900 Mhz ibook.

I can't get the color for the pop up buttons to be anything except white.
Anyone have a idea of what I may have changed to create this or do I have a possible hardware problem?

Delbert
Bartlett, TN

fjvanbodegom
15 October 2005, 12:17 PM
What kind of 'popup buttons' do you mean ?
The color of the popup buttons (the double triangles) is defined in Reunion
Black on the familycard to choose brothers/sisters and adding relatives.
Blue in the index and other lists
Red when multiple spouses are added

Or do you refer to the colors of the childbuttons ?
Then go: Options -> Define -> Child status
Or perhaps the color of the text in the buttons ?
Then go: Options -> Display -> Colors

DelbertCurlin
16 October 2005, 11:29 PM
What kind of 'popup buttons' do you mean ?
The color of the popup buttons (the double triangles) is defined in Reunion
Black on the familycard to choose brothers/sisters and adding relatives.
Blue in the index and other lists
Red when multiple spouses are added

Or do you refer to the colors of the childbuttons ?
Then go: Options -> Define -> Child status
Or perhaps the color of the text in the buttons ?
Then go: Options -> Display -> Colors

I guess I have wrong terminology. I'm refering the the areas of the family card where names, birth, death, notes, occ, marriage, etch appear. It used to be a multishaded blue over light blue but all now appear only white. Hard to find where to click and identify lines on family card.

Delbert

fjvanbodegom
17 October 2005, 09:03 AM
Okay, now your question is more clear to me.
It looks you changed the background and button colors of the family card.

Options -> Display -> and make the settings you want in the middle part of that window by choosing the colors you want.
This settings are stored in the family file.
Might be this is helpfull for you.

DelbertCurlin
18 October 2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks Frans but no matter what color I choose in the Button the area remains white. I'm stumped. Maybe it could be a software bug or a pecularity of ibook G3 or hardware malfunction. I'll try the local Apple Genuises when I can get to Germantown. Thanks again.

Delbert
Bartlett, TN USA

Deb
18 October 2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks Frans but no matter what color I choose in the Button the area remains white...Hi Delbert,

Did you try checking the box for "Darker Buttons" in the Display window?

If not, choose Options -> Display. You will see the box for "Darker Buttons" to the right of the "Presets" pop-up menu.

Incidentally, this enhancement was added in the OS X version 8.04 maintenance update. I hope you find it helpful:-)

DelbertCurlin
18 October 2005, 10:35 PM
Did you try checking the box for "Darker Buttons" in the Display window? ... this enhancement was added in the OS X version 8.04 maintenance update.Hi

Yes. I've tried darker buttons. No effect.

I'm using 8.06 and OS 10.3.9. I still have the updates 04,05 and 06.but---
I can't install them again can I?

Delbert Curlin
Bartlett, TN USA

Deb
19 October 2005, 12:24 PM
I've tried darker buttons. No effect...I'm using 8.06 and OS 10.3.9. I still have the updates 04,05 and 06.but---I can't install them again can I?Hi Delbert,

Actually, you could try to re-install Reunion 8 from the CD. Then, install the updates mentioned above. Let us know what happens.

DelbertCurlin
19 October 2005, 08:58 PM
Actually, you could try to re-install Reunion 8 from the CD. Then, install the updates mentioned above. Let us know what happens.Well, I just tried. I renamed the Reunion 8 app to old. Loaded the cd for 8.
Opened the cd and didn't get a window with what I remember being normal things such a read.txt. I got a window with what looked like parts of pictures, etc in list fashion with an install icon at the bottom. Processing that gave a successful installation msg. Processed the 8.04 updated and got a successful installationmsg. Processed 8.05 and got the following:
Unable to complete. See updater Log.txt which I am copying here?

Updating folder: Macintosh HD:Applications:Reunion 8:
Unable to create new file: Reunion 8.
Unable to create new file: Reunion 8 Manual:ManualContents.html.

Any further advice would be appreciated. I'm not going to touch the file until my head clears.

Thanks
Delbert

Deb
20 October 2005, 12:38 PM
Well, I just tried. I renamed the Reunion 8 app to old. Loaded the cd for 8. Opened the cd and didn't get a window with what I remember being normal things such a read.txt. I got a window with what looked like parts of pictures, etc in list fashion with an install icon at the bottom.Hi Delbert,

This is generally seen when a window opens and the View is set to "as List" or "as Columns." However, if the View is changed to "as Icons," the entire picture can be seen.

Processing that gave a successful installation msg. Processed the 8.04 updated and got a successful installationmsg. Processed 8.05 and got the following:
Unable to complete. See updater Log.txt which I am copying here?

Unable to create new file: Reunion 8 Manual:ManualContents.html.This problem and the button color problem may both be linked to the same problem...permissions. I recommend that you try repairing permissions using the Disk Utility program (found in the Applications folder : Utilities folder: Disk Utility) on your computer. To do so, open the Disk Utility program and go to the First Aid section. Then, select your hard drive name on the left and click the Repair Permissions button. This could take a few minutes to complete.

Also, it is a good idea to move your family file to your Documents folder (found in your Home folder), if it is not already there.

Then, take a step back and see if this helps the button color problem in the old Reunion 8 application. (I.e. open the old application, select your family file and try to change the buttons' colors and make use of the "Darker Buttons" feature.) If you are now able to change the colors of the buttons, then you may go back to using the old application.

However, if button color problems still continue after repairing permissions and storing your family file in your Documents folder, then try re-installing the application and the updates again.

I hope this helps you to get back up and running:-)

SVass
20 October 2005, 06:18 PM
Go to disk utility and repair permissions. Then try to install the update again. sam

Frank Mitchell
20 October 2005, 06:55 PM
If not, choose Options -> Display. You will see the box for "Darker Buttons" to the right of the "Presets" pop-up menu.
Deb,
I hadn't noticed this before, so I tried it.

Only the top half of the buttons showed up darker - the lower half remained white.

Is this what was intended?

Incidentally, the manual does not show, or refer to, 'darker buttons' - but I expect you already knew that!

Frank

DelbertCurlin
20 October 2005, 10:52 PM
Deb

Didn't work. Note: I can change to background to another color but buttons do not change under any circumstance. Other colors remain as default or can be changed also.

I tried starting all over by installing a new from the 8.01 cd. got successful completion and a check shows the file is 8.01.

ran install of 8.04 updater got msg "successful". However a check of the file shows the file is still 8.01. Looked in the folder and there is a file with name of Reunion 8~drud which shows 8.04.

Tried to run 8.05 updated got same msgs as yesterday as follows:

Updating folder:Macintosh HD Applications Reunion 8:
Unable to create new file:Reunion 8

Maybe something is wrong with the 8.04 updated even though it gave a successful completion. However I went to your web site and couldn't find 8.04 or 8.05 listed as available now for download.

Any further thoughts? I guess I can live with the card by changing the backgound color to something other than white so the white buttons at least don't dissappear completely.

Delbert
dlvcsr@mac.com

John Hill
21 October 2005, 04:43 AM
Unable to create new file: Reunion 8 Manual:ManualContents.html.
Delbert

When you look in the Reunion FOLDER you will see a lot of files and folders besides the application - partly due to Reunion's (IMHO, bad) habit of defaulting to that folder for most Save operations. However, one is named "Reunion 8 Manual"

Unless you also renamed that folder, the installer will try and install it. It seems to me that what has happened is that it has got to "ManualContents.html" in that folder, found that it already exists, and given up (rather than replacing it or at least asking you if if you want it to).

Try moving everything of *yours* out of the Reunion folder to some safe place, trashing the remainder and then running the installer.

I would also advise you to look in Preferences in the Library of your home folder for anything to do with Reunion and delete these, too. Maybe the cause of your problem is one of them. I have:
Reunion8.06OSXUpdater.sit
Reunion Chart
Reunion 8.0 Preferences
Reunion 8 Web.url
Reunion 8 Web
Reunion 8 Search.html
Reunion 8 Manual Prefs
Reunion 8 List [1sl]
Reunion 8 List [1pl]
Reunion 8 List [1fa]
com.leisterpro.Reunion8.plist

I have quite strong views about Reunion's using a folder in Applications for documents - it runs contrary to the ethos of OSX and seems to be a hang-over from OS9 and earlier versions - but that's another story...

John (Bournemouth)

Deb
21 October 2005, 11:52 AM
Note: I can change to background to another color but buttons do not change under any circumstance. Other colors remain as default or can be changed also...Any further thoughts? I guess I can live with the card by changing the backgound color to something other than white so the white buttons at least don't dissappear completely.Hi Delbert,

I have decided to continue this off list. You should expect to receive an email from me shortly.

Deb
21 October 2005, 12:00 PM
Only the top half of the buttons showed up darker - the lower half remained white...Is this what was intended?Hi Frank,

I suspect you are referring to the name buttons on the family card. If so, the lower half of the button is actually a lighter shade of the darker color on the upper half. (At least that is how they appear on our displays in the office.)

Incidentally, the manual does not show, or refer to, 'darker buttons'...Yes. That's because the feature was added in update 8.04, as described here. (http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/Version8/UpdateDetails8.html)

Agnes E. Cloninger
21 October 2005, 06:55 PM
I am using Reunion 8.06 with OSX 10.3.9 on a G3 900 Mhz ibook. I can't get the color for the pop up buttons to be anything except white. Anyone have a idea of what I may have changed to create this or do I have a possible hardware problem?I have played around with this feature some, and as I recall a few years back the colors were deeper. As it stands now the best I can do is rather pale color which is not stark white. I did achieve a definite difference by using the last color in the third row across. Remember to tell it to

DelbertCurlin
24 October 2005, 03:26 PM
I thank everyone for their input, (Frank,Agnes,John and Deb). In the end we came up with no solution on the ibook. I did move the file to a desk G4 and installed reunion there and it works like it did originally on the G3 ibook. However I need to stay with the ibook for portability and use in the libraries and cemeteries, reunions, etc so for now I made the background color a light gray and that outlines the buttons which show as white regardless of what I change to in the color chart (I even tried black). The apple genuises (?) say there is nothing wrong with the ibook so we will just continue with research and quit worrying about colors.

Thanks
Delbert