PDA

View Full Version : Clicking on linked photos causes OS9 to open

bonniegaia
04 October 2005, 02:37 PM
In my image folder linked to Reunion, I clicked on some photos -- and this caused OS9 to try to start up (??!!?) These are photos gathered some time ago, but I haven't used OS 9 since shortly after OSX was released.

I tried dragging the image to Picture Viewer and then saving the image to another folder. After the new save, it still causes OS9 to start to open, if I click on the image's icon.

How can I get this to stop?

I don't have anything on my computer that uses OS9 (at least I didn't think so until this image problem) -- should I delete OS9 entirely from the system?

Thank you for any insight -

Bonnie

saoi
04 October 2005, 03:10 PM
In my image folder linked to Reunion, I clicked on some photos -- and this caused OS9 to try to start up (??!!?) These are photos gathered some time ago, but I haven't used OS 9 since shortly after OSX was released.

I tried dragging the image to Picture Viewer and then saving the image to another folder. After the new save, it still causes OS9 to start to open, if I click on the image's icon.

How can I get this to stop?
Bonnie
Those pictures undoubtedly have been saved by an OS9 application.

The ANSWER:
1) Make sure that each picture has a tag. If they are jpegs that would be picture.jpg. This probably isn't essential but it sure won't hurt anything.
2) Click ONCE on one of the offending pictures and either Command-I and Open With or File> Open With in the Finder
3) In either case Picture Viewer or better yet Preview should be a choice. PIck it and then select the button that says open all others

I had this problem with files which had originally been saved by Adobe Photoshop OS 9

rich

Steve W. Jackson
05 October 2005, 06:48 PM
As Rich has pointed out, the files likely have type/creator information which causes them to open in an application that runs under OS 9. But I'll also point out that Picture Viewer itself is in fact an OS 9 application. It's part of QuickTime in earlier systems. So dragging any image file onto its icon will automatically require launching Classic. To confirm this, use Spotlight to search for "Picture Viewer" and you'll find an application file matching the term which will be located in your top-level folder named "Applications (Mac OS 9)".

= Steve =