PDA

View Full Version : Coordinating 2 Reunion files

Paul H
30 September 2005, 06:36 PM
Another member of my family is now using Renunion, starting with a family file that I sent her. Since then, she has been making changes against that base file, and I too have made some changes on mine. We would like to keep each other updated with the changes we make. How can we share the information effectively so we can merge changes periodically?

Forgive me if this is obvious or has been previously discussed! I am pretty new to Reunion, and brand new to ReunionTalk!

Deb
04 October 2005, 05:29 PM
Another member of my family is now using Renunion, starting with a family file that I sent her. Since then, she has been making changes against that base file, and I too have made some changes on mine. We would like to keep each other updated with the changes we make. How can we share the information effectively so we can merge changes periodically?Hi Paul,

I have two suggestions:

1. Send a copy of your current files to each other. You would each import the other person's file into a "copy" of your own family file (by choosing File -> Import/Export -> Import Family File). Then use Reunion's Match and Merge feature (choose Find -> Match and Merge People) to find the duplicate records caused by the import and merge the records together. (But, you each may need to compare notes and do a little manual clean-up in your files afterward.)

Information on how to import one Reunion family file into another and how to match and merge records together can be found in the manual. To access it from within your family file, choose Help -> Search the Manual (or click on the Manual button on the toolbar) and search for "import family" and "match merge," respectively.

2. Find all people with a change made in the Edit Person window (data such as birth, occupation, etc.) and, in my testing, when a linking change was made (I.e. adding a new or existing child using the blue "+" on the family card, or adding a spouse or parent). However, this would "not" find changes made "only" in the Edit Family window. For example, if a change was made only in a marriage date for a couple, Reunion would not find it using this method. Therefore, this process may or may not be complete, all depending on what changes were made in each family file.

But, if you would like to try it, please follow these steps...

1. Open your family file and choose Find -> Anything. Then select these conditions:

Attributes -> Changed Date ..... After ..... <enter an appropriate date>

2. Click

Paul H
05 October 2005, 10:47 AM
Hi Paul,

Yes. I would recommend you both use the Find -> Anything feature to find and mark all the records that were changed after a certain date. Then send a copy of the resulting files to the other person. After you both import the other's changes into your own file, use Reunion's Match and Merge feature to merge them in with your own (in cases where there was a duplication of effort or minor changes were made to a person already in your file). Also, you may need to link an existing child, parent, or spouse after importing the other's changes (in cases where a new entry was added to the other person's file.)

The steps involved in this process would be as follows...

Deb, thanks for the detailed instructions. We'll try this!

Paul

Deb
05 October 2005, 10:56 AM
Deb, thanks for the detailed instructions. We'll try this!

PaulHi Paul,

Just so you are aware, it was called to my attention that the results obtained from the method in my original post were not complete.

Please see my edited post above.

MabryBenson
06 October 2005, 12:37 PM
I think that it is a basic mistake for a researcher to try to coordinate their Reunion file with someone else, particularly by importing parts of someone else's file.

Rather you should share your raw data and information with each other, and each add that information to their own files. The significant advantages are that
1. by typing the data into your own file you intimately learn the details yourself of the new information and family members. With an import, you haven't a clue what is new, and would less likely remember anything you spot.
2. you can evaluate the quality of the data, and make your own conclusions (which may differ from the other person).
3. by thinking about what you are just learning you can think about what to look for next, what is lacking, ie what your next research steps will be.

This may sound like more work for you, but I think that in reality it isn't - not with all the checking and care needed to avoid and correct major or minor goofups.
What you gain is the satisfaction of a better understanding of your family history.

If you still want to import, maintain a file just for that purpose, and keep a separate file that is all your 'own.'

Good luck.

jinglis
08 November 2005, 09:58 PM
I am not sure why Reunion, which is such a powerful database tool, cannot handle a simple match-on-import function like every other database program. At the very least it should be able to "quarantine" likely matches between the imported data and the existing information and ask for confirmation before doing the merge.

Please add this to the list of features requested in the next version. It's a relatively simple database programming function that would prove invaluable to many of us. Thanks!

fjvanbodegom
09 November 2005, 04:00 AM
I completely disagree with you and simplyfing genealogy.
Genealogy is very very complex. Give two persons the same document and the result they extract from that document can be completely different, except some exact information as date or place.
Importing and merge is the MOST difficult part of genealogy, it is NOT simple database programming, unless you don't understand that genealogic information is extreme complex.

A few samples:
1. Jan Jans van Bodegom, born december 1640 can be the same person as Johannes Jans Boedghem, baptised 10 february 1645.
2. John Wiliams born 4 january 1750 and John Williams born 4 january 1750 etc can be different person, even if the death dates are the same.
3. You gave a part of your file to another person for research work. He corrected a lot of typo's, changed several dates (because he found them in another source), who is right.
4. Your partner in research made linking mistakes, and you are in trouble.
and so on

No, a simple match-on-import is not possible in genealogy unless you want to make a big, big mess of your database.

jinglis
09 November 2005, 07:30 PM
I recognize that there are possible pitfalls. Nonetheless, I would like to see it as an option. (It would certainly be equally simple to put in an option like "Never merge on imports" and have Reunion handle everything as it does now.)

But it would be useful to me, and to others, I gather from reading this and other threads, to be able to match to some degree on import. And given your concerns - which are legitimate - having a "quarantine" scenario where Reunion asks "Do you want to merge the following records" before doing anything "automagically" would be a great feature to have.

Here is my example: A second cousin once removed of mine just started using Reunion. (She had previously been using a single Word document that got up to nearly 80 pages!) I sent her my Reunion file to get her started. She did a weekend of work just entering basic information, including correcting some of mine, and sent it back to me. It had about 100 or 200 more people than my 1500-person file, and a few dozen existing people had had some data changed (a name spelling, a birthplace or date, etc.).

I did the Reunion-recommended thing, creating a copy of my file, importing into the copy and then matching and merging. I spent between 30 and 60 minutes matching and merging to connect the new amd updated people with existing folks in my records.

I then spent three and a half hours just matching and merging data that had not changed at all - for which all data under the person's name was completely identical.

I would have loved to have Reunion say to me, "These two people have exactly the same name. All information under these two people are exactly the same, including children and parents. All fields that are empty for one of these people are also empty for the other. No data is different between the two. Would you like to merge them?"

Even if I had to click "Yes" 1500 times, it would have taken less time. And if Reunion could have been told to auto-match people for whom every single item was completely identical, I would have been ecstatic - and finished in 15 minutes.

I would like to do the same thing regularly with my cousin, which would ensure that both of us have good and up-to-date information, as complete as we can get. I don't mind manually matching and merging people for whom data has changed, or been added or deleted, or where sources have changed.

But to spend hours matching and merging people whose data has not changed since the day I sent it to my cousin and in the days she worked on it before sending it back seems ridiculous.

In addition, it has meant that I have to forgo a regular exchange with my cousin, because the time I get to work on genealogy is short enough that killing four hours every month or so would slow me down immensely.

Not having this feature is actually impairing my ability to use Reunion to its fullest. I absolutely recognize that some - even many - would not want to use this capability. Nonetheless, I think it would be so useful to those of us who do want it that it should be included - with an option to turn it off.

Be well.

Jeff

Mary Arthur
10 November 2005, 08:19 PM
I recognize that there are possible pitfalls. Nonetheless, I would like to see it as an option...
In addition, it has meant that I have to forgo a regular exchange with my cousin, because the time I get to work on genealogy is short enough that killing four hours every month or so would slow me down immensely...Two workarounds for this are:

1. You both always mark any individual you change, then export only the marked people. You would both have to remember to send off a gedcom before you use the mark feature for anything else.

2. Do a find on changed after date X, mark those people and export would also work, but would include cards that you looked at but did not change.

David G. Kanter
11 November 2005, 01:35 AM
. . .2. Do a find on changed after date X, mark those people and export would also work, but would include cards that you looked at but did not change.Some clarifications on using the Changed Date to identify where changes have been made in your Family File:
1) Just viewing a Family Card in Reunion 8 does not affect the Changed Date for the persons on that card.
2) The Changed Date is affected when you have done a "Save" in Edit Person window