PDA

View Full Version : Old Mac to New Mac

Cora Martin
29 September 2005, 08:42 PM
Hi All,

I really need some help. About a month ago my old iMac, crashed and burned. After some thought I bought a G5 iMac, but my most recent Reunion files are on the old iMac hard drive setting in a corner in my computer room. I had a fairly recent back up, but did not include all of my really recent changes. The old computer is a G3 with the latest OS9 loaded. It is about 5 or 6 years old. There is no one around here who can/will work with a Mac, so I was thinking maybe I could remove the hard drive and if it is OK send it somewhere to have the info downloaded to CD. Is that a good idea? Sending the whole computer is out of the question. Does anyone have any ideas? Can anyone tell me how to get the case open to access the drive?

Also one little question about how Tiger works. I couldn't find in the on line manual on how to removed programs. I am guessing that one needs only to trash the program and any preferences that it might have. Is that correct?

Also, anyone who is trying to decide if they want to take the plunge to OSX, I say go for it. I was a foot dragger and wanted to stay with OS9 forever. But fate stepped in and I was forced to go to X. It is great and not that hard to learn. If an old goat like me can learn it, anyone can. If you can afford it, do it.

Cora Martin

johnpritt
30 September 2005, 03:01 AM
How to get the case open and remove the hard drive will depend very much on which model iMac you have. I guess the "good" news is that if it is ruined, then at least you don't have to worry too much about being gentle with it when you're opening it -- presumably you won't be putting it back together again?

Try a google search, and you should find a large number of sites. Here are some examples:
http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/bc/howtoimac/
http://www.theimac.com/drive_steps.shtml

I certainly recommend you trying to recover as much data as you can. If the old hard drive is still in working condition, you might consider putting it in a case with a power adaptor and then just using it as an external drive. Alternatively, transferring the data to CDs or DVD is probably the way to go.

Removing programs in OSX is no different really to removing them under OS9. Some come with installer/deinstaller options which should remove everything all in one go, otherwise dragging the program to the trash and searching for preferences, etc., is all you have to do. Spotlight can help by searching the hard drive.

Good luck (and congratulations on the iMac G5 -- I've got one, and think it's great!)

rnkiii
30 September 2005, 06:24 PM
Good afternoon Cora.

I can tell you from personal experience that getting data off a drive and onto some other medium is VERY, VERY expensive if done by a 'Recovery' service.

I was in much the same boat as you when my old G3 'crashed and burned' but the backups i 'thought' I had were bad also...

If you can get the drive out of yor imac and it is still useable you can mount it in an external case and get at the data that way.

When you say it 'crashed and burned' are you referring to the computer itself or the operating system or the hard-drive?

Other World Computing sells the kits necessary for this type of external usage... and if you can get the old drive out you can most certainly mount it in the new case and make the proper connections to get it up and running...

Best of luck,

Bob K.

David Foster
30 September 2005, 11:45 PM
Hi Cora,
You didn

Cora Martin
02 October 2005, 01:42 PM
Good afternoon Cora.

I can tell you from personal experience that getting data off a drive and onto some other medium is VERY, VERY expensive if done by a 'Recovery' service.

I was in much the same boat as you when my old G3 'crashed and burned' but the backups i 'thought' I had were bad also...

If you can get the drive out of yor imac and it is still useable you can mount it in an external case and get at the data that way.

When you say it 'crashed and burned' are you referring to the computer itself or the operating system or the hard-drive?

Other World Computing sells the kits necessary for this type of external usage... and if you can get the old drive out you can most certainly mount it in the new case and make the proper connections to get it up and running...

Best of luck,

Bob K.Thanks to the replies about my problem with the old Mac data. By crash and burn I meant that there was a loud bang and I saw sparks through the plastic cover on the back left side. The screen when blank and that was all she wrote, dead as a door nail. I have no idea what when wrong; a short, a power spike, who knows. Peeking through the little airport/memory hatch in the back I don't see any thing burned, but just seconds before the crash I could smell something burning. I just hope the hard drive is OK.

I work at our local Community College and the computer repair instructor offered to let himself and his students to see if they could salvage the drive. However, his face turned to stone when I told him it was a Mac, and I don't think I want to entrust it to him and his students. I think I can get the hard drive out myself thanks to the help given here and even get it into an external case. Gee, I used to take apart old wind up alarm clocks and put them back together, surely a hard drive won't stump me!

Cora Martin

Cora Martin
02 October 2005, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=David Foster]Hi Cora,
You didn

Cora Martin
02 October 2005, 01:57 PM
How to get the case open and remove the hard drive will depend very much on which model iMac you have. I guess the "good" news is that if it is ruined, then at least you don't have to worry too much about being gentle with it when you're opening it -- presumably you won't be putting it back together again?

Try a google search, and you should find a large number of sites. Here are some examples:
http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/bc/howtoimac/
http://www.theimac.com/drive_steps.shtml

I certainly recommend you trying to recover as much data as you can. If the old hard drive is still in working condition, you might consider putting it in a case with a power adaptor and then just using it as an external drive. Alternatively, transferring the data to CDs or DVD is probably the way to go.

Removing programs in OSX is no different really to removing them under OS9. Some come with installer/deinstaller options which should remove everything all in one go, otherwise dragging the program to the trash and searching for preferences, etc., is all you have to do. Spotlight can help by searching the hard drive.

Good luck (and congratulations on the iMac G5 -- I've got one, and think it's great!)Hello John,

Thanks for the links to the sites. I've looked at them and they seem to be pretty straight forward. That will be a big help, for me or for the instructor if I decide to go that route. Thanks again.

Cora Martin

John M. Leggett
03 October 2005, 09:43 PM
Cora, OWC is a good source for hard drive enclosures but so is Wal-Mart. OWC is mail order but every Wal-Mart I have ever been in has an ADS enclosure in stock...and for less money. It is designed for IDE drives and connects to your computer via USB 2.0.

You will need hard drive mounting brackets for most any enclosure as they are generally for 5 1/4" hardware (CD/DVD) rather than 3 1/2" hard drives. But they work just fine. I have three of them.

John

Bob White
04 October 2005, 03:40 AM
Thanks to the replies about my problem with the old Mac data. By crash and burn I meant that there was a loud bang and I saw sparks through the plastic cover on the back left side. The screen when blank and that was all she wrote, dead as a door nail. I have no idea what when wrong; a short, a power spike, who knows. Peeking through the little airport/memory hatch in the back I don't see any thing burned, but just seconds before the crash I could smell something burning. I just hope the hard drive is OK.

I work at our local Community College and the computer repair instructor offered to let himself and his students to see if they could salvage the drive. However, his face turned to stone when I told him it was a Mac, and I don't think I want to entrust it to him and his students. I think I can get the hard drive out myself thanks to the help given here and even get it into an external case. Gee, I used to take apart old wind up alarm clocks and put them back together, surely a hard drive won't stump me!Actually, that's kind of hilarious as the iMac has the same IBM brand hard drive as many of his PC's. Please remember: Just like a rose is a rose is a rose.... a hard is a hard drive is a hard drive. The only difference between the PC and the Mac hard drive is the formatting to give them the appropriate indexes, etc., for their OS. Physically, they are the same.

Anyway, here's a suggestion. I can't tell where you live but odds are that there is a Mac User Group nearby. Most groups have at least a few people that are qualified to help dig data from that hard drive. You can locate your nearest group by going to www.apple.com/usergroups/ where you will find a locator.

From your description, it sounds like either the mother board or some other circuit board got fried. If so, the hard drive is likely perfectly OK and just needs to be hooked up to a working Mac in order to access its files.

Ruth Ann
04 October 2005, 07:08 PM
I really need some help. About a month ago my old iMac, crashed and burned. After some thought I bought a G5 iMac, but my most recent Reunion files are on the old iMac hard drive setting in a corner in my computer room. I had a fairly recent back up, but did not include all of my really recent changes. The old computer is a G3 with the latest OS9 loaded. It is about 5 or 6 years old. There is no one around here who can/will work with a Mac, so I was thinking maybe I could remove the hard drive and if it is OK send it somewhere to have the info downloaded to CD. Is that a good idea? Sending the whole computer is out of the question. Does anyone have any ideas? Can anyone tell me how to get the case open to access the drive?...I bought a iMac back in March and was in the process of moving my data when the logic board died and did take to town to the only place that will work on Apple, also PC's and they found my hard drive just fine and so hooked up the harddrive and made a CD of all my documents etc. It cost me $35. which I didn't think was too bad. Hope you can get something like that done if not your hard drive.
Ruth Ann

Al mitchell
05 October 2005, 11:42 AM
Cora, OWC is a good source for hard drive enclosures but so is Wal-Mart. OWC is mail order but every Wal-Mart I have ever been in has an ADS enclosure in stock...and for less money. It is designed for IDE drives and connects to your computer via USB 2.0.

You will need hard drive mounting brackets for most any enclosure as they are generally for 5 1/4" hardware (CD/DVD) rather than 3 1/2" hard drives. But they work just fine. I have three of them.I usually do not like to promote a particular retailer but this company carries some inexpensive, hard to find items. One such item is an IDE to USB converter, not an enclosure, that is under $30. You can get more info on it at http://www.cyberguys.com . It may be a better solution if your hard disk is near the end of it's life.

Al

John M. Leggett
17 October 2005, 06:51 PM
I usually do not like to promote a particular retailer but this company carries some inexpensive, hard to find items. One such item is an IDE to USB converter, not an enclosure, that is under $30. You can get more info on it at http://www.cyberguys.com . It may be a better solution if your hard disk is near the end of it's life.Al, the only USB/IDE adapter I find at the site mentioned is $58.95. That is more than an enclosure including a power supply. Am I missing something?

John

Al mitchell
18 October 2005, 08:41 PM
Al, the only USB/IDE adapter I find at the site mentioned is $58.95. That is more than an enclosure including a power supply. Am I missing something?

John

John,
The product I refered to is still priced below $30 but may be hard to locate at the online store due to the large number of products they carry. The catalog is easier to use. Look for "Easy Ide, USB 2.0 To Ide Ata Converter" the item # is "131 0858". Contact me off board if you have more questions.