PDA

View Full Version : maintianing media links when sharing gedcoms

Susan Assmus
23 September 2005, 09:17 AM
When sharing gedcom files with pc users (sending or receiving) is it possible to maintain media links to photos displayed in the files? I thought I had done that years ago, but a friend has asked me for some help and I haven't been able to figure out how to do that and I can't find anything in the online manual. My friend uses PAF on a pc and is trying to send a gedcom file with linked photos to a Reunion user.

Deb
26 September 2005, 04:57 PM
When sharing gedcom files with pc users (sending or receiving) is it possible to maintain media links to photos displayed in the files?...Hi Susan,

The answer to your question is no. Photos need to be transferred separately and relinked after importing the Gedcom file into Reunion (or the PC program).

However, the good news is they can easily be relinked to people in Reunion 8 by simply dragging and dropping the photo icon onto the appropriate person's name button on the family card.

Additional information on how to link a multimedia item to a person in a Reunion 8 family file can be found by searching your manual for "add multimedia."

anniebel
18 August 2006, 12:41 AM
However, the good news is they can easily be relinked to people in Reunion 8 by simply dragging and dropping the photo icon onto the appropriate person's name button on the family card.

I'm sorry to have to tell that its not at all a good news for someone who have to re-link more than 2200 pictures... drag and drop is a long processus... and each of my pictures had its proper description :-(

Reunion is a very good program... but when its the time to publish on the web , export a gedcom or share data with others, i have the regret to say that it can be very disapointing... I hope these important missing things will be corrected in a future version, or a small patch or utility.

I mean :
- all tags relatives to OBJE incorporated to gedcom exportation
- more facility to publish and customize web pages using templates, css, and actual web standards