PDA

View Full Version : How to find men without wives?

bonniegaia
23 September 2005, 04:05 AM
If I had no data for a wife, nothing at all, I entered nothing.

Now, I would like to locate every man/father of at least one child/ who has a 'blank' for a wife.

Is this possible?

Thank you so much ....

Bonnie

David G. Kanter
23 September 2005, 04:38 AM
I would like to locate every man/father of at least one child/ who has a 'blank' for a wife. Is this possible?Yes. I've deleted my suggested solution as Roger Moffat's later post in this thread provided a far-better solution. (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=648#post3013) I have left in the following reminder about the ability to save Conditions you have built as that's still applicable, in any case.

Note that at the bottom of the Find Anything window there's a Presets pop-up menu. While Reunion comes with several useful defaults, you can select the "Save Preset" in the pop-up menu to save whatever Condition, or set of Conditions, you've built

bonniegaia
23 September 2005, 07:20 PM
David --

Thanks for the wonderfully detailed reply.
I'm very grateful for your taking the time to respond. This is the perfect answer and one I almost didn't dare hope for!

My daughter is doing a project around my genealogy database, and we became interested in learning what percentage of women are known only as 'wife of' only, or by a first name alone... etc. With many thousands ... well, it suddenly seemed a daunting task.

Your advice is a huge timesaver!

Bonnie

David G. Kanter
24 September 2005, 04:55 PM
Deleted; see Roger Moffat's solution in his later post in this thread. (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=648#post3013)

theKiwi
24 September 2005, 11:49 PM
How about this Search.

Find Anything ------> Couples Tab...

Names ------> Husbands Name - Is Not - "" (leave the box blank)
AND
Names ------> Wife's Name - Is - "" (leave the box empty)
AND
Children ------> Number of Children - More than - 0

This will find all instances of a husband with a non empty name, a wife with an empty name that have more than zero children.

Cheers

Roger

David G. Kanter
25 September 2005, 12:01 AM
[QUOTE=theKiwi]How about this Search