PDA

View Full Version : Where to place folders and pictures in Reunion?

martha
21 September 2005, 01:07 AM
I have read various opinions on this forum about where to place the picture folder and various other folders related to Reunion. Is there a "proper" place for these and is it outside of the Reunion folder? My Reunion folder contains all of my genealogy related material. Is this incorrect?

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable replies!!

Martha [in Israel]

David G. Kanter
21 September 2005, 02:55 AM
I have read various opinions on this forum about where to place the picture folder and various other folders related to Reunion. Is there a "proper" place for these and is it outside of the Reunion folder? My Reunion folder contains all of my genealogy related material. Is this incorrect?Not necessarily

martha
23 September 2005, 02:08 AM
Thanks, David!! And thanks for always being there!!

Martha [in Israel]

Steve W. Jackson
28 September 2005, 08:17 PM
... Caution: There is also a Documents folder at the top level of your hard drive ...
Just as a point of interest, there is no longer a Documents folder at the top level of your hard drive on newer systems. Chances are, if you've got one there, it's an indication that your system dates to the days when they shipped with Mac OS 9 and/or could boot into it. I no longer have one on my PowerBook G4/800 or on our new iMac G5.

= Steve =

Roger Franke
30 September 2005, 12:13 PM
Just as a point of interest, there is no longer a Documents folder at the top level of your hard drive on newer systems. Chances are, if you've got one there, it's an indication that your system dates to the days when they shipped with Mac OS 9 and/or could boot into it. I no longer have one on my PowerBook G4/800 or on our new iMac G5.

= Steve =

Steve, I usually take your words as gospel, but in this case I have to disagree. I have had a new iMac G 5 for several months now and am still in the process of learning OS X and specifically OS 10.4. I don't understand it, but when the sidebar is visible in Finder, there under my home folder are several categories as follows: Applications, Documents, Movies, Music and Pictures. Clicking on my home folder opens up a window which shows in the top row: Desktop, Documents, Library. Now I have already placed a couple of folders of my own making in the documents folder of my home folder. But when I click on it, it opens up the documents folder in the sidebar. In other words, both documents folders contain exactly the same files, and it appears that I don't have a "personal" documents folder. Have I already messed something up or what's going on here anyway? So far I am the only user of the computer and it is not networked. Roger Franke

dfilpus
30 September 2005, 12:48 PM
Steve, I usually take your words as gospel, but in this case I have to disagree. I have had a new iMac G 5 for several months now and am still in the process of learning OS X and specifically OS 10.4. I don't understand it, but when the sidebar is visible in Finder, there under my home folder are several categories as follows: Applications, Documents, Movies, Music and Pictures. Clicking on my home folder opens up a window which shows in the top row: Desktop, Documents, Library. Now I have already placed a couple of folders of my own making in the documents folder of my home folder. But when I click on it, it opens up the documents folder in the sidebar. In other words, both documents folders contain exactly the same files, and it appears that I don't have a "personal" documents folder. Have I already messed something up or what's going on here anyway? So far I am the only user of the computer and it is not networked. Roger Franke

What Steve is referring to is not the Documents folder in your home directory, but a Documents folder in the top level of the disk drive. If you double click on the disk icon, not your home icon, you will see that the disk contains Applications, Library, System, Users, etc, which are global folders for all users. If OS 9/Classic is installed, then there is a global Documents folder there, which is not there if OS 9/Classic is not installed.

If you open Users, you will see folders for each user on your machine, these are the home directories for the users. Each of these contain a local set of folders, many with the same name as the folders in the top level of the disk drive, such as Applications and Library. Clicking on home opens the user's personal directory which has the personal Documents folder.

David G. Kanter
30 September 2005, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=Roger Franke]

DelbertCurlin
04 October 2005, 08:26 PM
I don't know if my problem belongs here but I imagine someone can tell me if not.
On my computer screen in the side under the disk drives, home, apps, etc., the last item is Pictures. Reunion has a file called pictures. I have iphoto where my camera puts pictures.
Is there some way to consolidate all of these picture files so I only have one place to look?

Delbert Curlin