PDA

View Full Version : problem in the Miscellaneous Notes screen

Dan Devaney
20 September 2005, 09:29 PM
We are having a problem in the Miscellaneous Notes screen. It seems as if all of a sudden blocks of text are underlined and sometimes there are random dots appearing in the text. We have also noticed that any letters that go below the line are missing their bottom parts (such as y & p). We use bold & underlining & color in our notes.

One way we can eliminate the unwanted lines & dots is to select the section & then go to

Mary Arthur
21 September 2005, 12:29 AM
We are having a problem in the Miscellaneous Notes screen. We are presently using Mac OS 10.4.2 and Reunion 8.06 on an iMac G-4 with plenty of RAM. Our fonts are the default settings. We have reinstalled Reunion 8.02 (which was on our disk), then upgraded to 8.05 and 8.06 through the upgrading application.Whenever you have any problem that just appears, (and if you are not already, run it at least monthly) run Disk Utility (Hard Drive --> Applications - -> Utilities.

Also, in Reunion, save a compact copy and see if this helps. If not, let us know and someone will have another suggestion.

Dan Devaney
23 September 2005, 11:57 PM
Whenever you have any problem that just appears, (and if you are not already, run it at least monthly) run Disk Utility (Hard Drive --> Applications - -> Utilities.

Also, in Reunion, save a compact copy and see if this helps. If not, let us know and someone will have another suggestion.Thank you Mary,

I have done all of it. Saved and mounted a compact copy, ran Disk Utility, Disk Warrior, then reinstalled Reunion. The problem comes and goes when we are in the misc. notes section. All of a sudden, everything or sometimes part of the page are underlined. Then sometimes later a bunch of dots appears. We use underline as part of our formatting, as well as bold and color. We also have Word for Mac and use it as our processer.

Thanks again,

:-)

Dan

theKiwi
24 September 2005, 11:51 PM
Do you use TypeIt4Me?

I haven't seen any odd behaviour from it in Reunion, but in AOL it used to give weird appearances on screen of text underlined with dots as the TypeIt4Me checking was taking place.

Roger

Joanna Ashmun
26 September 2005, 07:03 PM
The problem comes and goes when we are in the misc. notes section. All of a sudden, everything or sometimes part of the page are underlined. Then sometimes later a bunch of dots appears.

Me, too. I've had this problem all along, and I don't do any interesting formatting.

Joanna

Dan Devaney
26 September 2005, 07:46 PM
Do you use TypeIt4Me?

I haven't seen any odd behaviour from it in Reunion, but in AOL it used to give weird appearances on screen of text underlined with dots as the TypeIt4Me checking was taking place.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the come back. Gee, unless it is included in Reunion, Word for Mac or on the Mac I would say no we don't use it. As for spell checking, we copy into a new doc and then run spell check from Word.

Any other ideas?

Aloha,

Dan

Dan Devaney
26 September 2005, 07:50 PM
Me, too. I've had this problem all along, and I don't do any interesting formatting.

Joanna

Hi Joanna,

Gee, we didn't think using Bold, color and underlining, etc., was that far into formatting. Since they have it in the program we just started to use it and like it. Try it. Maybe you'll like it. :-)

Today, we don't see the problem as yet, but maybe it will reappear later in the day. We never know just when it will come back. It just starts to show that way. We are not doing anything different.

Aloha,

Dan

fjvanbodegom
27 September 2005, 07:52 AM
Dan,
The problem you describe looks a little to what I sometimes experience.
Sometimes dots or small fragments of lines appear in the lower part of a Note screen, when quick scrolling.
In my situation this was only present (intermittent and since my new Powerbook nearly completely disappeared) when the note field is crowded of text. And ALWAYS immediate disappear when resizing the window.

The size of a notefield is max. 64.000 characters and (as I understood from Gregg in earlier correspondence) is 'composed' of two 32.000 character fields and the problem I experienced was only with Note fields bigger than 32.000 characters.
As I remember well, Leister thought that is has to do somehow with the memorychips (might be video memorychip), but they had no clear solution.

Might be you experience the same problem ? Is your Note field crowded of text and does it disappaer immediately after resizing the window ?

Dan Devaney
27 September 2005, 07:56 PM
Dan,
The problem you describe looks a little to what I sometimes experience.
Sometimes dots or small fragments of lines appear in the lower part of a Note screen, when quick scrolling.
In my situation this was only present (intermittent and since my new Powerbook nearly completely disappeared) when the note field is crowded of text. And ALWAYS immediate disappear when resizing the window.

The size of a notefield is max. 64.000 characters and (as I understood from Gregg in earlier correspondence) is 'composed' of two 32.000 character fields and the problem I experienced was only with Note fields bigger than 32.000 characters.
As I remember well, Leister thought that is has to do somehow with the memorychips (might be video memorychip), but they had no clear solution.

Might be you experience the same problem ? Is your Note field crowded of text and does it disappaer immediately after resizing the window ?Never thought about this possibility before. We'll watch it when it starts again. As we remember, the screen was full. Thanks for the heads up.

Aloha,

Dan

Tom Robinson
28 September 2005, 12:08 AM
We are having a problem in the Miscellaneous Notes screen. It seems as if all of a sudden blocks of text are underlined and sometimes there are random dots appearing in the text.
I think you'll find this is a cosmetic glitch: i.e. it doesn't effect your actual note, just the way it's displayed.

Sometimes Reunion doesn't display the last pixel on the bottom of a descending character, and sometimes these same missing pixels get scrolled up/down the window.

e.g. If you had a line of text:

jumps over the lazy dog

The extra pixels would correspond to the 'j', 'p', 'y', and 'g'; and would appear interspersed with the other text: they will retain the correct position on the line, but the actual line appears in the wrong spot.

You can prove it's only cosmetic by closing the note and viewing it again, viewing the note in a report (e.g. the person sheet), or copying & pasting into another application.

I suspect the underlines are the same problem, though I haven't seen this.

To prevent it happening you could try:

* Enlarging the note window a pixel at a time until you find a size which works (usually one which displays an even number of rows, so Reunion isn't having to break a character in half).

* Using a different method of scrolling the note: arrow keys, page down/up keys, clicking in the scroll bar, clicking the scroll arrows, etc.

Dan Devaney
28 September 2005, 09:47 PM
I think you'll find this is a cosmetic glitch: i.e. it doesn't effect your actual note, just the way it's displayed.

Sometimes Reunion doesn't display the last pixel on the bottom of a descending character, and sometimes these same missing pixels get scrolled up/down the window.

e.g. If you had a line of text:

jumps over the lazy dog

The extra pixels would correspond to the 'j', 'p', 'y', and 'g'; and would appear interspersed with the other text: they will retain the correct position on the line, but the actual line appears in the wrong spot.

You can prove it's only cosmetic by closing the note and viewing it again, viewing the note in a report (e.g. the person sheet), or copying & pasting into another application.

I suspect the underlines are the same problem, though I haven't seen this.

To prevent it happening you could try:

* Enlarging the note window a pixel at a time until you find a size which works (usually one which displays an even number of rows, so Reunion isn't having to break a character in half).

* Using a different method of scrolling the note: arrow keys, page down/up keys, clicking in the scroll bar, clicking the scroll arrows, etc.

That makes sense, bet that's what is happening to us. Hope that they will fix it is version 9. it can drive us up the wall.

Thanks for the input.

Aloha,

Dan