PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD label making software for Mac

FRED DYKHUIZEN
17 September 2005, 10:25 AM
Can anyone direct me to a good source for personalized CD/DVD label making software for Mac?

Thanks,

Fred Dykhuizen
fdyk@earthlink.net

Researching: Dykhuizen (Dijkhuizen), Dobard, Scholl, Morgan

conniegene
17 September 2005, 11:27 AM
The Print Shop is available from MacKiev (http://mackiev.com/print_shop.html) will print all kinds of CD\/DVD labels and the inserts for cases. If you have one of the new Epson printers that will print directly on CDs/DVD (they basically come pre-labeled) there is an update you can get that will take advantage of that. Of course, those printers also have the software to make the labels. Print Shop costs $49.95 and of course gives you many more capabilities than just labels. It is only for Mac OSX.

I have a friend who swears by Discus Labeler (http://www.magicmouse.com/). One advantage of this is that "Discus ships on a cross-platform CD which includes versions for Mac OS 8-9, Mac OS X, and Windows 98-XP. Fully Tiger compatible" which might be more useful to some. It costs $39 but only does labels.

SGilbert
17 September 2005, 12:21 PM
Be VERY cautious about putting labels on CD/DVD's! Any imbalance, bubble, or peeling of the label will self-distruct your optical drive!

Personally, I will NEVER put a labeled CD/DVD in my Mac. I might add, however, that I have a slot loading PB. The warning goes for tray loaders too.

I only use a fine tipped "Sharpee" felt tip, but many warn against those too.

FRED DYKHUIZEN
17 September 2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks fot the insights! Question: where did you find such a neat "action" icon (man at computer)? I've seen other action ones such as yours....but am not computer smart enough to save or duplicte them. Thanks, again....

SGilbert
17 September 2005, 09:54 PM
Well, if you must know....I stole it! Can't remember where.

When and if you find one, hold down your "ctrl" key and click on the icom/avatar/picture/etc. A window will come up and you'll want to pick what you want to do...usually Save to desktop (where you can store it somewhere else at your leisure)

conniegene
18 September 2005, 12:56 AM
Be VERY cautious about putting labels on CD/DVD's! Any imbalance, bubble, or peeling of the label will self-distruct your optical drive!

Personally, I will NEVER put a labeled CD/DVD in my Mac. I might add, however, that I have a slot loading PB. The warning goes for tray loaders too.

I only use a fine tipped "Sharpee" felt tip, but many warn against those too.

Yes, be very careful with Sharpies...particularly if the CD is something that you really value as the ink CAN also destroy the data. There are some pens that are made for this...

Using the printable cd/dvds eliminates the bubbling problem. If you really want put the label on the cd or dvd yourself, get one of the kits that makes it pretty foolproof.

Venita Roylance
21 September 2005, 01:57 PM
Can anyone direct me to a good source for personalized CD/DVD label making software for Mac?

Thanks,

Fred Dykhuizen
fdyk@earthlink.net

Researching: Dykhuizen (Dijkhuizen), Dobard, Scholl, Morgan

My favorite is DiscLabel which is available for download from Smile on My Mac at http://www.smileonmymac.com/disclabel/ for $29.95. It is written specifically for Mac and accepts almost any brand of labels that you can think of.

For best results in putting a label on a disk, use a "disk stomper" - a gismo that helps get the label on smoothly. Then be sure to smooth out all the air bubbles.

Yours,

Venita

AnnBolton
26 September 2005, 05:59 PM
Another choice, especially good if you need a new photo printer, is the Epson R300 printer which prints directly on special blank disks. The software to do this comes with the printer and I had no trouble figuring it out.

The R300 also reads all the camera cards and costs about $200 but there is a cheaper model, R200, without the card readers.

Ann Bolton <http://home.cfl.rr.com/annbolton/>
See my NEW site for genealogy, recipes, poems, books
<annbolton@cfl.rr.com> <annbolton@aol.com>

kaloskie
28 September 2005, 03:10 PM
My favorite is DiscLabel which is available for download from Smile on My Mac at http://www.smileonmymac.com/disclabel/ for $29.95. It is written specifically for Mac and accepts almost any brand of labels that you can think of.

For best results in putting a label on a disk, use a "disk stomper" - a gismo that helps get the label on smoothly. Then be sure to smooth out all the air bubbles.One of the problems people worry about is the effect of the label on the CD. What I do is make 2 CD's, one with the full labe and another with a label that only covers the center (core labels from NETO). Give it a thought.

Jerry

FRED DYKHUIZEN
29 September 2005, 05:39 PM
Well, if you must know....I stole it! Can't remember where.
When and if you find one, hold down your "ctrl" key and click on the icom/avatar/picture/etc. A window will come up and you'll want to pick what you want to do...usually Save to desktop (where you can store it somewhere else at your leisure)OK....I downloaded your "little man", but it is a series of still pics with no animation! What did I do wrong?

SGilbert
29 September 2005, 06:04 PM
I don't think it will work direct from your Mac---try uploading it to a forum as an Avatar and then check it.

Don't ask me why it won't work directly--'cause I don't know!

Al mitchell
30 September 2005, 08:36 PM
OK....I downloaded your "little man", but it is a series of still pics with no animation! What did I do wrong?

You are probably opening up the GIF file in Preview. If you drag the file or open it in a web browser, you will SEE the action. Other programs like Quicktime and RealOne players will also show animated GIFs. In any case, it will liven up on the web.

Al

Linda.H
30 September 2005, 08:45 PM
OK....I downloaded your "little man", but it is a series of still pics with no animation! What did I do wrong?

Fred, an animated gif *is* just a series of still pictures -- think of a roll of movie film -- but not all software knows what to do with the frames! Unless you have software that can "read" an animated gif, you probably can't just open it by double-clicking on it and see the animation.
Try opening a blank window in your web browser and then drag the "little man" to that window -- or "open" it from the File menu. The animation should play for you then. Usually works for me, it's how I verify and test animations.

Linda