PDA

View Full Version : You Synchronize and ReUnion

Matt Falvey
17 September 2005, 08:50 AM
Hi I have just purchased You Synchronize a Synchronising application, for the purposes of synchronising my Family tree files between my iMac and and PowerBook. The ReUnion application and my Family tree files are all stored in a ReUnion folder in the applications folder, on both 'puters.

When I go to settings to select the Family tree files that I wish to synchronise, I can get past Applications, then the ReUnion folder and then to some of the other folders that are contained in the ReUnion folder are active (Dark), but the files I want to synchronise are greyed out and as such can't be selected.

I tried a Sync using the higher level ReUnion folder but that did not sync the lower level family files, above. (I had typed something into one file on the iMac and then waited to see if it showed up on the the same file in the Powerbook).

Does anyone know what am I doing wrong or how do I go about synchronising these greyed out files or make them active so that the can be selected?

Thanks

Matt

Urs Geiser
19 September 2005, 12:56 PM
Hi I have just purchased You Synchronize a Synchronising application, for the purposes of synchronising my Family tree files between my iMac and and PowerBook. The ReUnion application and my Family tree files are all stored in a ReUnion folder in the applications folder, on both 'puters.

When I go to settings to select the Family tree files that I wish to synchronise, I can get past Applications, then the ReUnion folder and then to some of the other folders that are contained in the ReUnion folder are active (Dark), but the files I want to synchronise are greyed out and as such can't be selected.

I tried a Sync using the higher level ReUnion folder but that did not sync the lower level family files, above. (I had typed something into one file on the iMac and then waited to see if it showed up on the the same file in the Powerbook).

Does anyone know what am I doing wrong or how do I go about synchronising these greyed out files or make them active so that the can be selected?

Thanks

Matt

WARNING! Reunion changes the modification date of a file even if you don't make any changes. Any synchronizing scheme based on the file modification date will sooner or later lead to loss of data!

Apologies for the blunt statement. This has been discussed here before. I don't know anything about your specific synchronization program.

My scheme is to designate one computer as the master. All changes are made there and only there. The family file is then copied fairly frequently to the other machine, but never the other way round (barring disaster recovery).