PDA

View Full Version : New User Questions

Troy
15 September 2005, 12:47 PM
Hi---

If anyone would be so kind as to help with the following questions (the answer to which I can't seem to find in the manual).

1. My imported Gedcom file has a lot of "repository" entries which I can't find in my Reunion database; were they put somewhere else or just lost?

2. Can the family picture be printed out in any report? If not, where/how are they used?

Thanks.

Troy---

Troy
15 September 2005, 03:12 PM
Hi---

I would appreciate getting some suggestions on how-and-where other members include pictures in their data and how they are recognized and reported (displayed and printed) by Reunion.

For example, I have many pictures of cemetery entrances, grave markers, anniversary parties, residences that I would like to include in the data, but don't know where or how to include them. I can't seem to find anything in the manual about this and there doesn't seem to be a place in the appropriate fact or event to add (or link) the picture(s).

I would be grateful for some suggestions on how other members address this issue in your database.

Thanks.

Troy---

dfilpus
15 September 2005, 04:38 PM
Multimedia, such as pictures, are linked to persons or family cards, not to sources, facts or events. A group picture can be linked to each person in the picture. A gravestone can be linked to the person(s) on the stone. The primary picture will be displayed on person cards and in charts, if enabled.

The section of the Manual labelled Multimedia covers the basics for linking pictures to person and family cards. Including them in charts, etc, is covered in the options for charts.

ttl
19 September 2005, 08:20 PM
Regarding the missing entries, you'll probably need to reimport your gedcom. Try opening Reunion and selecting Help-->Search the Manual. If you enter the phrase "gedcom fields", the first match should be "Importing and Exporting Gedcom Files, The Optional Fields Section of the Import Gedcom Window." This will tell you how to find nonstandard tags and map them to a new field in Reunion.

If they were imported to fields, but they're not displayed, you can go to Options-->Define-->Views, and select the missing fields to be displayed on the family card. That will only work if they already exist.

Follow dfilpus' suggestion to link your photos. And any of the text report formats should give you chance to select an option to include preferred pictures.