PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Version 8

Maxine Crabtree
13 September 2005, 12:46 AM
I am having trouble installing Version 8. I don't know what I am doing wrong but it is driving me crazy. I am using an iMac and running Mac OS X. I presently have Version 4 and 5 in my Apple Menu. I can open both OK. I have installed Version 8 but am having problems upgrading. I went through the first three steps to upgrade but the 4th step "select your OLD Reunion family file" doesn't work right for me.. I go to my Apple Menu to click on Reunion 5 but it is not highlighted although Version 4 is highlighted ( I did click on Reunion 5/6/7 in step 3). What on earth am I doing wrong? I remember that upgrading to Version 5 was a breeze - not so with this one. Maxine

David G. Kanter
13 September 2005, 01:30 AM
[QUOTE=Maxine Crabtree]I am having trouble installing Version 8

Maxine Crabtree
14 September 2005, 12:36 AM
David - I used my find button and found Reunion 5 here --- Macintosh HD = Applications (OS 9) = Reunion 5 Folder = Reunion 5. It looks like all my data is in the application folder, and the Reunion 5 in my Apple Menu is probably an alias, although with OS X it is not identified as an alias.

I had a Mac service rep install my OS X upgrade so I am not sure why Reunion was put in the OS 9 application folder. I'm not very smart when it comes to computers so I really don't have a clue what to do now. Can I drag the Reunion 5 folder out of the Application folder and into the hard drive without doing any damage to my data? I lost all my data once (when I was using PAF) and had to redo every thing - and yes, I did have a backup but there was nothing on the backup disk. And now I've gotten too old to start over again. Maxine

David G. Kanter
14 September 2005, 12:54 AM
I've gotten too old to start over again.You shouldn't have to. Send me an e-mail and if you'll include your telephone number, I'd be happy to talk this over with you.

But, in any case, here are my responses to the rest of your last post:

I used my find button and found Reunion 5 here --- Macintosh HD = Applications (OS 9) = Reunion 5 Folder = Reunion 5. It looks like all my data is in the application folder. . .That your data (i.e., your Family File and any Multimedia folders) are in that folder is prefectly reasonable

latblumr
15 September 2005, 12:42 AM
...I had a Mac service rep install my OS X upgrade so I am not sure why Reunion was put in the OS 9 application folder....This may be too simple, but when I moved to OSX I had similar problems. When I moved Reunion out of OS9 onto the desktop, everything worked.

Maxine Crabtree
18 September 2005, 11:29 PM
David,

Thanks for helping me with my upgrade. I now have it up and running in the Reunion 8 folder. I haven't had time to do much checking of the data but what I did see looked ok. However, there is one problem that I haven't been able to correct - the type size in the notes field. When I opened the first family card (mine) the type size was very small, so small I could barely read it. it looked like a size 7 or 8. There were several little buttons at the top of the card where I could change the size on the primary & secondary names/data. After clicking on the little buttons all the data was changed to a readable size, including the notes field. When I clicked on the note field to read the rest of the notes I discovered that the type size had not changed. Incidentally, when I went back to the family card the little buttons had disappeared. How can I change the type size in the note field?
Maxine

David G. Kanter
19 September 2005, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=Maxine Crabtree]there is one problem that I haven't been able to correct - the type size in the notes field

martha
20 September 2005, 05:52 AM
<...> Yup. If, as it appears, you did get the Family File to remain on the Dock, I'd suggest you directly edit that post and remove that whole paragraph. I'd then, remove this paragraph from this reply post. That should make it easier for someone who later walks through this thread.

Why should Reunion be in the right hand side of the Dock? I have mine on the left with everything else, and it works fine. The right hand side, next to the trash contains temporary stuff that I will want in a second but that I do not want to remain forever in the dock. Is that incorrect? What IS the difference between places in the dock??

Martha [in Israel]

David G. Kanter
20 September 2005, 11:23 AM
Why should Reunion be in the right hand side of the Dock? I have mine on the left with everything else, and it works fine. The right hand side, next to the trash contains temporary stuff that I will want in a second but that I do not want to remain forever in the dock. Is that incorrect? What IS the difference between places in the dock??As people may have their Docks on the side, rather than the bottom, of their screen, let's talk of the portion of the Dock on the Trash side of the dividing line versus the other side. The Trash side is for volumes (like your hard drive), documents and folders; the other side is for applications.

As I was suggesting to Maxine Crabtree that her Family File be kept in the Dock, it needed to be on the Trash side. As you, instead, refer to Reunion (i.e., the application), it needs to be on the other side. (In my case, I have several Family Files