PDA

View Full Version : New User Needs Help

Troy
12 September 2005, 09:23 PM
Hi---

As some of you may recall, I am the PC User converting to Mac so I can use Reunion; thus, am totally "lost" in the Mac world and very much need your help to get "on-track".

My used (new-to-me) iMac G3 arrived today and I installed Reunion 8 on it, which seemed to go okay; until I tried to open up the Sample Family File at which time I got this message "...Reunion 8 has unexpectedly quit, because an error of type 3 has occurred."

I also got a "type 2" error message along the line also...am not sure what I was doing at the time.

What is happening?

How can I fix it?

Please help.

Thanks.

Troy---

SGilbert
13 September 2005, 12:31 AM
Sounds like Reunion needs more memory.

Click once on Reunion, but do NOT open it. Hold the Apple key (next to the space, and click the "I" key. In the resulting menu, click Memory, and increase "preferred size to TWICE the suggested #. Close the window, and open Reunion. That SHOULD do the trick.

If not, go to your HD, open applications, unilities, and open "Disk First Aid" Run it TWICE (to be sure) after you highlight your HD. Wouldn't hurt to restart also.

Please let us know the results, as our reward for help is knowing what the results are. :)

Troy
13 September 2005, 09:44 AM
SGilbert---

Thanks for helping me.

I did both of your suggestions and unfortunately they did not solve the problem.

I was able to open a "new" family file to get Reunion to start and to access the user's manual where I accidently found something about testing for software conflicts by starting the iMac holding down the shift key to turn "off" all the extra software and then trying to see if Reunion works. I did and it does open the Sample Family Database, but without multi-media support since Quicktime was also disabled in that process.

I tried for several hours to test by turning off some of the other software (in small groups) and restarting the iMac to identify if one of them is the problem, but was not successful......perhaps I am doing it wrong (as I am not really sure about working with Mac's or perhaps it is a combination).

Anything else I can try?

Thanks again for the help.

Troy---

Deb
13 September 2005, 12:26 PM
SGilbert---

Thanks for helping me.

I did both of your suggestions and unfortunately they did not solve the problem.

I was able to open a "new" family file to get Reunion to start and to access the user's manual where I accidently found something about testing for software conflicts by starting the iMac holding down the shift key to turn "off" all the extra software and then trying to see if Reunion works. I did and it does open the Sample Family Database, but without multi-media support since Quicktime was also disabled in that process.

I tried for several hours to test by turning off some of the other software (in small groups) and restarting the iMac to identify if one of them is the problem, but was not successful......perhaps I am doing it wrong (as I am not really sure about working with Mac's or perhaps it is a combination).

Anything else I can try?

Thanks again for the help.

Troy---Hi Troy,

I suspect the Type 2 error was fixed by allotting more memory to Reunion, as SGilbert suggested. However, the Type 3 error may be related to your version of QuickTime.

What version of QuickTime is currently on your computer? If it is a version older than QuickTime 6 (and you are running OS 8.6 or newer) or QuickTime 5 (if you are running OS 8.5), then I would recommend upgrading to the latest version of QuickTime available for your operating system.

In order to determine which version of QuickTime you have installed, simply open your hard drive, the System folder and the Control Panels folder. Then, single-click on the QuickTime Settings icon and choose File -> Get Info -> General Information.

If your version of QuickTime needs to be updated, you may do so by searching for it on the following page of Apple's web site...

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

As you have noticed, Reunion needs to have the proper version of QuickTime installed in order to display the images on the family cards. And, when you disabled the QuickTime extension, this permitted you to open the Sample Family file with no pictures being shown.

I hope this information is of some help to you:-)

Troy
13 September 2005, 03:41 PM
Deb---

Thanks for the help.

The Type 2 error went away (thank goodness) and you were right about the old QuickTime is causing the Type 3 error; however, I am now having trouble getting the new QuickTime 6 downloaded file to be seen on my old (new-to-me) iMac G3 CD-ROM. The iMac uses OS 8.6.

The QuickTime downloaded file is in .bin format (which I do not understand) and appears also to be beyond that in a Suffit format (file name ends with .smi.bin). I tried to find a stand-alone file, but couldn't.

By the way since the iMac is not hooked up to the internet, I am having to download the file using a PC, then burn a CD with the file on it to put on the iMac which doesn't even recognize the CD sometimes, let-alone the file.

I also tried to see if I could open the QuickTime downloaded file on the PC, but couldn't do that either.

Any suggestions for a really novice Mac user?????

Thanks.

Troy---

SGilbert
13 September 2005, 03:52 PM
Do you have Stuffit Expander? (Allume.com)

If/when you do, go to it's preferences and check all available formats.

Troy
13 September 2005, 05:43 PM
SGilbert & Deb---

I did finally get Stuffit to install somehow and did get the QuickTime 6 file onto the desktop and got Stuffit to "un-stuff-it" and did finally get QuickTime 6 installed.

After an iMac computer restart, Reunion is working like a "champ".

I will now be able to import my family gedcom data into it.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

You have been just great.

Take care.

Troy---

SGilbert
13 September 2005, 09:19 PM
HooooRaaaay! Welcome to the Mac and Reunion family

Bob White
13 September 2005, 11:32 PM
By the way since the iMac is not hooked up to the internet, I am having to download the file using a PC, then burn a CD with the file on it to put on the iMac which doesn't even recognize the CD sometimes, let-alone the file.Just for future reference regarding the CD that you burned. My suspicion is that you burned it using the old FAT file format. As far as I know, no Mac on any OS can handle that due to the way it structures its header file. The FAT format is not a problem for Mac's but the header construction is. Plainly said, it can't open the gate. On most Windows versions from 98 forward, another format choice is ISO9660 (hopefully I remembered the number correctly!); use that.

cutemartin
14 September 2005, 03:45 AM
I tried for several hours to test by turning off some of the other software (in small groups) and restarting the iMac to identify if one of them is the problem, but was not successful......perhaps I am doing it wrong (as I am not really sure about working with Mac's or perhaps it is a combination).Anything else I can try?There used to be an excellent piece of software called "Conflict Catcher" which would automatically do all that turning on and off to find out which extensions were in conflict with each other.

I do not know if it is still available or supported, with most developers focusing on OSX, but if you can track it down, I seem to remember it was not too expensive and saved me many hours of problem-solving!
martin

Troy
14 September 2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone for all the assistance and great tips to make my transition to the Mac world easier.

Troy---

Urs Geiser
14 September 2005, 01:55 PM
There used to be an excellent piece of software called "Conflict Catcher" which would automatically do all that turning on and off to find out which extensions were in conflict with each other.

I do not know if it is still available or supported, with most developers focusing on OSX, but if you can track it down, I seem to remember it was not too expensive and saved me many hours of problem-solving!
martin
The company Casady&Greene, maker of Conflict Catcher, no longer exists, and its products are no longer available from the standard vendors. You'll have to look on the second-hand market for a copy if you're interested. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casady_&_Greene

I used to have it (through work) when I still used OS8-9 and found it useful at times, certainly more convenient than the Extension Manager that came with the OS.

charo
15 September 2005, 01:04 PM
For starters, in the distant past, I was an FTM user, until they deserted us Mac users. I then purchased Reunion 7, which is head and shoulders above any and all programs.

Recently I acquired an iMac G-3 with O. S. 9. Reunion works great on this p. c., but my problem is somewhat similar to Troy's. I cannot open Outlook Express - 5, nor can I access Internet Explorer 5. I also get, when I click on either one, the message. Has unexpectedly quit because an error type 2 has occurred.

I had the same problem on my old Mac 5400, and I rebuilt the desktop and that solved the problem. Unfortunately this did not work on my iMac G-3.

I realize that this is a bit off subject, but I am at the end of my rope. Enough so that i am considering buying a windows p. c. <;-)

Charo
Lebanon, Pa.

SGilbert
15 September 2005, 02:46 PM
Sounds like Reunion needs more memory.

Click once on Reunion, but do NOT open it. Hold the Apple key (next to the space, and click the "I" key. In the resulting menu, click Memory, and increase "preferred size to TWICE the suggested #. Close the window, and open Reunion. That SHOULD do the trick.

If not, go to your HD, open applications, unilities, and open "Disk First Aid" Run it TWICE (to be sure) after you highlight your HD. Wouldn't hurt to restart also.

Please let us know the results, as our reward for help is knowing what the results are. :)As in my previous reply; I've found that ALL OS9 applications need a boost in the "preferred size" area. Some say 10-15%, however, I've had no problem with doubling it in many instances. Note: you'll need sufficient RAM for the larger ones.

Deb
15 September 2005, 04:28 PM
Recently I acquired an iMac G-3 with O. S. 9. Reunion works great on this p. c., but my problem is somewhat similar to Troy's. I cannot open Outlook Express - 5, nor can I access Internet Explorer 5. I also get, when I click on either one, the message. Has unexpectedly quit because an error type 2 has occurred.

I had the same problem on my old Mac 5400, and I rebuilt the desktop and that solved the problem. Unfortunately this did not work on my iMac G-3.

I realize that this is a bit off subject, but I am at the end of my rope. Enough so that i am considering buying a windows p. c. <;-)Hi Charo,

Please do "not" be hasty in wanting to buy a PC.

I have found that, many times, Type 2 errors can be fixed by increasing the memory allocated to the application that is quitting on you.

As SGilbert mentions in this thread, memory allocated to an application can be increased by selecting it (one click). Then, choose File -> Get Info -> Memory (or press the Command key + "I" and select Memory in the Info. window). Next, simply increase the "Preferred Size" by a thousand or two (or even double it).

In this instance, you would want to select the Outlook Express and Internet Explorer 5 application files.

I hope this gets you up and running again:-)

Janet Binkley
17 September 2005, 06:19 PM
I just tried that thing to increase memory but it didn't work -- went to Safari, clicked on File, but no Get Info showed up. In Finder, Get Info shows up, but that doesn't help. What am I missing?

JRB

SGilbert
17 September 2005, 06:57 PM
I just tried that thing to increase memory but it didn't work -- went to Safari, clicked on File, but no Get Info showed up. In Finder, Get Info shows up, but that doesn't help. What am I missing?Janet, That is for OS 9 ONLY! OS X does it's own memory "thing", and no "tweaking" is needed.

What is your problem with X and/or Safari?

Janet Binkley
19 September 2005, 08:12 PM
My problem is with Safari -- I'm running OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) and Safari recently has been quitting unexpectedly, with no reason given. I thought perhaps the memory overload might be it.