PDA

View Full Version : How to view all relationships between two persons

G Rey
08 March 2005, 08:18 PM
Last week, Mace wrote:

"To see all ways in which two people are related (I asked this once and never saw an answer but found it out by accident), choose "Find:Relationship". Then pick the two people of interest and Reunion will show you all possible ways which they are related, including the common ancestor for each relationship."

I have a first cousin through her father. But since her father and mother were cousins (1C1R), she is also my 1C3R. When I use <Find:Relationship> only the 1C gets reported. If I try <Find:Relationship> with my cousin's mother, Reunion reports 1C2R which is correct. But I can't get Reunion to report all relationships between myself and my cousin. What did Mace do that I am not doing? Reunion appears to ONLY show the closest relationship between two persons.

Steve W. Jackson
09 March 2005, 11:50 AM
The results of the Find Relationship search appear in a dialog specifying the relationship between the two individuals and identifying their common ancestors. When there are multiple relationships between them, you should see green arrows in the center and something like "1 of 2", for example, if there are two relationships. Using those arrows lets you scroll through the relationships between the two people. If the arrows and counts do not appear, then Reunion has not identified multiple relationships.

= Steve =

G Rey
09 March 2005, 01:27 PM
Steve - Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, it doesn't address the issue I am having. When I do Find Relationship, I am shown a dialogue which reports only that there is a first cousin relationship and identifies our common grandparents (through my cousins's father). However, there is another blood relationship through my cousin's mother, which Reunion does not report.

I believe that Reunion only reports the closest relationship. What I am looking for is confirmation of whether or not this is true. If it is true, perhaps, I should start a thread under Wish List for an expansion of the Find Relationship feature.

Gregg
09 March 2005, 02:37 PM
Reunion appears to ONLY show the closest relationship between two persons.I duplicated this here and it appear that the parent-child relationship is over powering the cousin relationship between the parents.

We will have to look at this one closer to determine if Reunion could handle this one differently. I can't say for sure how it should be handled since your cousin would have to be considered a child and a cousin to her own parents.

Ok, now I just confused myself :eek:.

SGilbert
09 March 2005, 02:52 PM
Well, to confuse the discussion slightly more:

My parents are, in fact, 2nd cousins, and Reunion does report them as such (listing 2 sets of grandparents), however, it does not list them as spouses. This precludes the closest relationship theory!

Also, Reunion lists my sister as only my sister, when she is also my cousin.

G Rey
09 March 2005, 05:42 PM
My parents are, in fact, 2nd cousins, and Reunion does report them as such (listing 2 sets of grandparents), however, it does not list them as spouses. This precludes the closest relationship theory!I can confirm that Find Relationship done on the parents' of my cousin show a 1C1R relationship. This is correct. Since a spousal relationship is not a blood relationship, Reunion is correct in not showing that.