PDA

View Full Version : File index instead of homepage

AliceJ
06 September 2005, 09:49 AM
Hi,

I have just updated my website for the first time in some time and I think I may have forgotten some things. Instead of my homepage showing up at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~genealice/, I am getting an index of files. I think it is something to do with how I name my homepage but I can't remember how to do it? Can someone help me with an idiot's guide :) ? Thanks!

Alice

dfilpus
06 September 2005, 11:58 AM
According to the FAQ at freepages <http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/FAQ/freepstart.html>,

"Naming Pages
by Allen

Your first page, that "index" file that everyone seems to be fretting about, can have any of three designations:
index.html
index.htm
index.shtml"

Your entry page is named wc_toc.htm

It looks like the change is just to rename wc_toc to index

Dave

AliceJ
06 September 2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks so much for your prompt reply, Dave. I knew it was something simple concerning the homepage. I just couldn't remember what! :) Thank goodness, it is simple. With my non tekkie ways, I don't think I could cope with more! Thanks again and good luck with your own research.

Alice

Steve W. Jackson
07 September 2005, 07:10 PM
Dave's solution will solve one problem, but it'll create another. Once you see the initial page, try following the "Home Card" link. When it comes up, follow the link at the bottom labeled "Contents" and you'll get an error. That's because the links that Reunion generates to get you back to the initial content page from everywhere all point to the "wc_toc.htm" page and not to the new name given to that file.

There are a couple of possible solutions. One is to regenerate your web family cards and use a different file name. Note when you go to the Create menu and select Web Family Cards that the dialog includes a button labeled "Web Options". The default option there under "Files" is to let Reunion decide the name, which will be the wc_toc form. You could have it use the "index" naming convention instead.

To prevent regenerating your cards, you could simply provide a URL that includes the wc_toc.htm filename. If you prefer not to do that, you could elect instead to make a "dummy" index file that will automatically redirect to your wc_toc file. To do that, you'll need to create a small HTML file by hand and name it index.htm (or whatever extension you've chosen). It needs only a small amount of HTML text inside, and that text will automatically cause it to redirect to the wc_toc.htm page. Here's what it should contain:

<!--

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url="wc_toc.htm">
</head>
<BODY></BODY>
</html>

-->**

The case of the tags isn't relevant. The case of the wc_toc.htm filename might be, depending on the server type they use -- and make sure you use the same htm or html extension actually placed on your file.

The advantage of this approach is simply that the existing files you already created and uploaded continue to work. This "meta refresh" approach will automatically redirect ANY browser to the named page, and it will mean that the "Content" links in the pages you've uploaded will get redirected to the right place as well.

= Steve =

**Admin note: <!-- and --> added for digest formatting**

dfilpus
07 September 2005, 07:48 PM
The auto-redirect may or may not work. Some older browsers may not support the redirect as implemented. Often you have to add a line of html to allow the user to manually link to the real root page. Otherwise, you just get a blank page.

There are other ways to deal with the whole issue:

1. Regenerate the web pages with a root web page with the "index.html" name.

2. Use a bulk editor to change all instances of wc_toc.html with index.html in the directory. This would have to be done whenever the web pages are updated.

3. Have two copies of the root web page, one named "index.html". This would have to be done whenever the web pages are updated.

4. The geek solution: Create an .htaccess file which contains the following command:
DirectoryIndex wc_toc.htm
NOTE: This may not be possible, if the web host does not allow general files to be uploaded.

Urs Geiser
08 September 2005, 03:54 PM
The auto-redirect may or may not work. Some older browsers may not support the redirect as implemented. Often you have to add a line of html to allow the user to manually link to the real root page. Otherwise, you just get a blank page.
That would be some very old browsers. Any standard browser released within the last five years supports auto-redirect.

There are other ways to deal with the whole issue:
1. ...
2. ...
3. ...
4. The geek solution: Create an .htaccess file which contains the following command:
DirectoryIndex wc_toc.htm
NOTE: This may not be possible, if the web host does not allow general files to be uploaded.
Another geek solution (again not available on all web hosts, probably requires shell access): create a soft link (sort-of a UNIX analog of Mac alias or Windows shortcut) index.html/index.htm that points to wc_toc.htm