PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of webcard folders

Bekalex
05 September 2005, 05:52 PM
Hi,

I was here a long time ago but took off for awhile. Now lately, I have been doing some updating and return for help! :)

I'm still using version 7 on Mac OS X 10.2.8. (this may be the problem)

I have created new webcards but can't delete the old ones. I try to trash them but after a looooong time, the error message reads that there is some file or something missing so it can't be trashed. I think I did get one batch trashed from the actual Reunion folder (in the 9.2 system).

I have copies in my iDisk too and can't get them to trash.

Do I have to upgrade to OS X 10.3 (or 4) and version 8 in order to get these trashed? All I've been able to do is rename them things like "Zerror" or "xWebcards" so that I don't use them.

Becky

David G. Kanter
05 September 2005, 06:31 PM
I'm still using version 7 on Mac OS X 10.2.8. (this may be the problem) I have created new webcards but can't delete the old ones.Don't think so, as such a deletion is an Operating-System Finder-related operation. (I trust you've ensured the folders/files you are trying to delete aren't in use by any program--such as your browser. If in doubt, Log Out then Log in

Bekalex
05 September 2005, 10:46 PM
Do they move OK to the Trash, but is it that when you go to Empty Trash, you're told they can't be deleted? In any case, I'd suggest you tell us exactly what that error message said as that might suggest additional things to try.They won't go to the trash. They won't go anywhere. They are very big. They are 9 mb. But after an hour of trying to trash them they had only moved 2 k.

I'm going to try your other suggestions.

Becky

theKiwi
05 September 2005, 11:33 PM
Just to be clear about what you're trying to do...

You're creating Web Cards locally on your machine and then trying to copy these new cards to your .Mac web space to replace web cards that are already there?

The files you're having trouble deleting are the files that are stored in the .Mac web space?

If so, then this probably is not abnormal, particularly if you're on a dialup connection. Interacting with .Mac to the extent that is needed to delete hundreds or thousands of files at one time can be very slow work :-((

Roger

Steve W. Jackson
07 September 2005, 07:15 PM
In addition, the iDisk doesn't use file/folder permissions, so Dave K's ideas won't really on the .Mac side. What I suggest you try (if indeed this is on the .Mac iDisk) is going into some of the individual folders and deleting a handful of files at one time. Apple needs some serious improvements in their implementation of the WebDAV protocols for .Mac, and this is one way that it manifests itself.

If the problem is actually on your local machine, there's another alternative that should rapidly get around the problem -- but I'll withhold any details in order to avoid confusion just in case. If this is where the problem lies, let me know and I'll give you details.

= Steve =