PDA

View Full Version : Back and forth problem

Metheo
05 September 2005, 03:55 PM
If I go forward (say familiy ID n+1) and backwards (familiy ID n) while navigating in my Reunion file, I often end up somewhere else - at a position where I was just before (familiy ID n-1).
Does anyone know about this problem? I'm using Reunion 8.06 on Mac OS X 10.3.9, on both a Dual 500 MHz PowerPC G4 and a laptop 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4.

David G. Kanter
05 September 2005, 05:45 PM
If I go forward (say familiy ID n+1) and backwards (familiy ID n) while navigating in my Reunion file, I often end up somewhere else - at a position where I was just before (familiy ID n-1).If you are referring to using the Forward & Back buttons on the Toolbar (or their keyboard shortcuts of "Cmd(Apple)+]" and "Cmd(Apple)+[", respectively), those move you forward and back on the list of the last, up to 200, Family Cards you have visited since you last launched Reunion. (You can see the current list by Control-clicking, and holding, on those buttons on the Toolbar.) That list would only be related coincidentally to the Family or Person ID numbers assigned by Reunion as you add Family Cards, and the person(s) on those Family Cards, to your Family File. (Search the Manual for "moving between" and see the first found item: "The Family Card, Moving Between Family Cards".

If you are referring to something else, please let us know.

Metheo
05 September 2005, 06:18 PM
If you are referring to using the Forward & Back buttons on the Toolbar
Yes. Navigating through a Family File forwards and then backwards again, must of course bring you back to your starting position. But often one gets to a different one, i.e. to the one before a given starting position (pls read my first mail carefully!).
This is clearly a bug, and I have observed this as regression from Reunion 7 to 8. There must be more users suffering from it.
It can lead to large mistakes, especially when one does a lot of input work and has no time to always double check after navigation whether one is at the right PersonID.

David G. Kanter
05 September 2005, 06:46 PM
(pls read my first mail carefully!).I did, but as you explicitly referred to moving from one ID number to either the next higher ID number or to the next lower ID number

theKiwi
05 September 2005, 11:43 PM
When you first open a Reunion file, you can press the Delete/Backspace key to go back to the last card you were viewing before you last quit Reunion.

So if you open Reunion and go forward n times by clicking buttons, or going to an person from the index, then go back n times you should be back to where you started from (which would be the card you've set to open when you start Reunion), but if you go back as many times as you can (which would be n+1), then you'd be back to the last card that was opened when you last quit Reunion, even if you've never opened that card during the current session.

Is this what you are seeing?

Roger

Tom Robinson
08 September 2005, 04:51 AM
If I go forward (say familiy ID n+1) and backwards (familiy ID n) while navigating in my Reunion file, I often end up somewhere else - at a position where I was just before (familiy ID n-1).
Same bug here, though I've never narrowed it down.

It goes something along the lines of: work on a person, click on his parents, maybe up another generation or down to children, maybe do some work on those other people, then click the Back button on the toolbar a few times. You'd expect to end up back at the original person, but that isn't always the case.

Cheers

Metheo
08 September 2005, 07:03 PM
Exactly. Possibly this bug comes about when there's an inconsistency in the database references.
What I also noticed with my Reunion file is the following 'feature':
- Go to any person that hasn't yet any parents;
- Select any male person through the index;
- Go back and try to add this male person as father, by selecting the 'Existing Father' option;
- The person accordingly shown in the index opened by this option is not the male person selected before in the index (whereas it would be the same when using another Reunion file filled with just a few names).
I have tried the repair option on my Reunion file and saved a 'clean' copy, however without improvement.
Something for Lester to look into, I would imagine!

Boule38
08 September 2005, 09:06 PM
Same bug here also, but intermittently.