PDA

View Full Version : "Stranded" Alternative to a Separate Family File for Yet-to-be-Connected Mini-Trees

David G. Kanter
02 September 2005, 06:26 PM
In the thread ReunionTalk > Using Reunion 8 > Removing a Family File (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=587), Ken [elkriverken] mentioned his approach to recording yet-to-be-connected mini-trees. I'd like to offer an alternative approach that I've found to be of value. Your mileage may vary.

During a search I will create a temporary Family File in hopes it would later fit in with other files I'm researching. In some cases it doesn't and was a dead end.I have many instances of mini-trees which look like they may be found to fit into my main family and offer my alternate way of dealing with them: Use "stranded" mini-trees within my primary Family File.

First, I do create a separate Family File for those mini-trees, but always create them as empty Family Files by doing a File->Save a Copy->Type: Clone (no records) from my primary Family File. That way the separate Family File has all the fields, Options, Views, etc., I've so carefully chosen as my primary Family File has evolved over time. I'm careful to give the cloned copy a name that's distinctively different from that of my primary Family File

sdengle
07 September 2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks, David, for some good suggestions. I, too, have several "unconnected" family groups or individuals in my tree, usually people I have found in censuses, cemetery records, or other sources who I think might be somehow related.

If newcomers to Reunion have not discovered this yet, go to "Edit" menu, then select "Add unrelated person" to add an individual. Sometimes adding neighbors of relatives found in a census, or gravestones next to known ancestors, can be useful to have in your master family file.

Here is my suggestion for "new" Reunion family files so there is no confusion with your "master" family file.

Create a "new" file and import your information. Next, go to "Options" menu, and select "Display..." then click on the color box (or click the tiny arrows beside it) for "Background", which brings up a color palette from which you can click on a totally different color for the "Background".

For example, I use a pale peachy-gold Background color for my "master" file. With a "new" file, I might choose a medium blue for its Background. Thus, visually, I can tell immediately upon opening that it is NOT my main file. After saving an older version of my main file, if I remember to do so, I also change the Background of that older file to avoid any confusion with my current file.

Susan