PDA

View Full Version : Removing a Family File

elkriverken
02 September 2005, 02:37 PM
During a search I will create a temporary Family File in hopes it would later fit in with other files I'm researching. In some cases it doesn't and was a dead end.
I now want to remove the entire file from the Reunion Startup list. I can remove the individuals totally but the title always remains on my list.
How can I remove the family title? Thank you.
Ken

SGilbert
02 September 2005, 04:04 PM
Easiest way is to drag it to the trash!

IF you want to change the name, highlight it, and change it.

Just be careful you don't delete the one you want to keep!

David G. Kanter
02 September 2005, 06:32 PM
While SGilbert reply has already answered Ken's question, the method mentioned by Ken for recording not-yet-proven mini-trees leads me to suggest an alternative approach that I've found to be of value.

During a search I will create a temporary Family File in hopes it would later fit in with other files I'm researching. In some cases it doesn't and was a dead end.For a detailed description of my alternate approach, see the new thread I started ReunionTalk > Using Reunion 8 > "Stranded" Alternative to a Separate Family File for Yet-to-be-Connected Mini-Trees. (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=589)

David

elkriverken
02 September 2005, 10:12 PM
I can highlight the family file I wish to trash. However I cannot drag it from the opening Reunion list to the trash, or anywhere else. Please advise.

David G. Kanter
02 September 2005, 10:50 PM
I can highlight the family file I wish to trash. However I cannot drag it from the opening Reunion list to the trash, or anywhere else.You can't do the deletion from the Open dialogue window in Reunion. (That window is just for selecting which file you want Reunion to open.) Cancel that window as you don't want any file to be in use when you are trying to delete it. (If in doubt as to whether that Family File is in use by Reunion, then Quit the Reunion program.)

Instead, in the Finder, locate where that file is stored on your hard drive and do your deletion (drag to the Trash or Cmd(Apple)-Delete) from there. Then next time you are in Reunion and have reason to go to the Open dialogue, it will no longer appear because it's no longer an active file on your hard drive.

SGilbert
02 September 2005, 10:51 PM
Just open the reunion FOLDER, click and drag the UNWANTED family file to the trash---Then flush.

OOPS---David beat me to it. :)

elkriverken
04 September 2005, 12:14 PM
You can't do the deletion from the Open dialogue window in Reunion. (That window is just for selecting which file you want Reunion to open.) Cancel that window as you don't want any file to be in use when you are trying to delete it. (If in doubt as to whether that Family File is in use by Reunion, then Quit the Reunion program.)

Instead, in the Finder, locate where that file is stored on your hard drive and do your deletion (drag to the Trash or Cmd(Apple)-Delete) from there. Then next time you are in Reunion and have reason to go to the Open dialogue, it will no longer appear because it's no longer an active file on your hard drive.David: Thank you for the advice. It worked, just as you predicted.

Ken S.

elkriverken
04 September 2005, 12:16 PM
Just open the reunion FOLDER, click and drag the UNWANTED family file to the trash---Then flush.Thanks SGilbert. Having two experts is a real plus!

Ken S.

SGilbert
04 September 2005, 12:22 PM
No expert here! Just "been there--done that"!

Being a "why can't I do that" kind of guy, I've created many problems throughout my Mac years (I date back to my 1st Apple; a IIc) Eventually, some with help, I've found my way out of trouble every time.