PDA

View Full Version : New Member Needs Help with the Basics

Troy
29 August 2005, 09:21 PM
Hi---

I decided to convert to Mac (am buying a used one) so I can use Reunion; however, I do NOT know the first thing about Mac's, so need some help with the basics, if anyone would be so kind to help.

These are the "basics" that I need help with; I am sure there are many others, but I don't know enough to ask:

1. I downloaded the trial version of Reunion and some of the files are in zip format and others are in stuffit format (something like zip, I presume). Are these going to be self-extracting or do I have to get a Mac version of zip and/or the stuffit software?

1a. What about the full version of Reunion; I assume it is self-extracting / self-installing software?

2. As I understand it, I can just make a gedcom file of my Windows genealogy data, save it (I will burn a CD since the Mac I am getting doesn't have a floppy drive I don't think) and then Reunion should be able to import the data.

3. I have a lot of genealogy files in rtf format (under Windows); can the Mac word processor (AppleWorks?) open them okay, or will there have to be a conversion?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Troy---

ttl
29 August 2005, 11:59 PM
1. If you're using the OS 9 version of the demo, the .sit file should launch StuffIt Expander when double-clicked, and unstuff. If you're using the OS X version, you may have to download StuffIt (free version) at <http://www.allume.com/mac/index.html>. This will unstuff the .sit file and I think the .zip file. Easiest of all, if the computer has OS X 10.3 or 10.4, double-clicking the zip file should launch an expander built into the OS. You'll only need one of the files... you just need to decide which one is appropriate for your situation.

1a. The full version of Reunion comes on a CD. The installer on the disk will take care of everything for you. (Or it might just be drag and drop... I don't remember.)

2. You might get an earful about gedcom transfers, but the short answer is yes, but the transfer might not be perfect in its completeness.

3. AppleWorks should be able to handle the RTF, as should TextEdit, built into OS X.

Hope this helps.

Troy
30 August 2005, 10:50 AM
Tim---

Thanks for the response; it is very helpful to have more information.

I believe the OS on the used Mac I am getting is 8.6, if that makes any (or much of a) difference.

Troy---

ttl
30 August 2005, 11:31 AM
With 8.6, you should be good to go. The only thing I might say is that there are some quirks in the older OS that might take a little getting used to. I'm a big advocate of OS X myself, but understand you have a budget.

AppleWorks in OS 8.6 should be fine for the RTF.

AE Palmer
30 August 2005, 11:49 PM
I decided to convert to Mac (am buying a used one) so I can use Reunion; however, I do NOT know the first thing about Mac's, so need some help with the basics, if anyone would be so kind to help.

These are the "basics" that I need help with; I am sure there are many others, but I don't know enough to ask:

1. I downloaded the trial version of Reunion and some of the files are in zip format and others are in stuffit format (something like zip, I presume). Are these going to be self-extracting or do I have to get a Mac version of zip and/or the stuffit software?

1a. What about the full version of Reunion; I assume it is self-extracting / self-installing software?

2. As I understand it, I can just make a gedcom file of my Windows genealogy data, save it (I will burn a CD since the Mac I am getting doesn't have a floppy drive I don't think) and then Reunion should be able to import the data.

3. I have a lot of genealogy files in rtf format (under Windows); can the Mac word processor (AppleWorks?) open them okay, or will there have to be a conversion?Congrats on getting a Mac!

StuffIt will convert zipped files with nary a peep. Self extracting StuffIt files are labelled: .sea (BTW, all self respecting Mac owners get StuffIt sooner or later as it is an indispensable tool).

The Reunion CD is all but automatic. Double clicking on the install program will ask a few simple questions (i.e.: where do I put.....) and anything already started in the demo version is ready to be expanded upon as needed.

GEDCOM transfers from PC to Mac (Reunion) will get most of your data, but the process is far from perfect. Therefore, you will have to proof the new file and add the missing data manually.

Most, if not all, word processors in Mac will handle RTF files just fine. AppleWorks is one of them. However, MS Word is the only program equipped to handle TOC and INDEX formatting as written by Reunion. If you don't need them, there is a simple checkbox that turns the coding off.

Troy
31 August 2005, 09:48 AM
Thanks to everyone for the assistance and very useful information.

It makes me feel more comfortable in making the switch from Windows to Mac (genealogy-wise, for now at least).

Troy---

DanKilloran
31 August 2005, 12:17 PM
Tim---

Thanks for the response; it is very helpful to have more information.

I believe the OS on the used Mac I am getting is 8.6, if that makes any (or much of a) difference.

Troy---

If so, it is a PowerPC, and you ought to upgrade to OS 9.1 It probably will not run OS 9.2

You MIGHT be able to run a version of OS-X, but it is probably not worth the trouble.

Dan Killoran

Troy
31 August 2005, 12:59 PM
Dan---

Thanks for the information.

Where do I go to get OS 9.1? (obviously a non-Mac-user-type question, which I am til now). I assume I will need OS 9.1 on a CD to install it since the used iMac G3 I am getting doesn't have a floppy drive (I don't think).

Also, it was recommended to me to get at least 256 MBytes of RAM to run Reunion, so I will need to shop for that too, but am not sure what to ask for as it seems that there is "regular" RAM and "low-profile" RAM with different numbers-of-pins, etc..

This is getting complicated < grin >, but am sure it will be worth-the-hassle to get up-and-running-with-Renuion.

Again, thanks for the assistance. You are helping a lot in the "Mac-conversion" process.

Troy---

theKiwi
31 August 2005, 02:14 PM
http://macsales.com/ will be able to help you with both the Mac OS 9.1 CD and the RAM chip.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5913&Item=APLOS91CD

for the CD. The RAM depends on just exactly which iMac G3 you have.

Cheers

Rogere

Al Cooper
31 August 2005, 02:45 PM
I see that you have already received helpful responses to your immediate questions. Just in case you have other questions you might wish to check out the abundance of information that is available on Apple Support website for iMac G3. Click on the following link:

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/g3/

DanKilloran
01 September 2005, 11:02 AM
Where do I go to get OS 9.1? (obviously a non-Mac-user-type question, which I am til now). I assume I will need OS 9.1 on a CD to install it since the used iMac G3 I am getting doesn't have a floppy drive (I don't think).

Also, it was recommended to me to get at least 256 MBytes of RAM to run Reunion, so I will need to shop for that too, but am not sure what to ask for as it seems that there is "regular" RAM and "low-profile" RAM with different numbers-of-pins, etc....You can download OS 9.1 from:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75103

You don't need a CD. Just download the above stuff. It would be useful to partition your disk if it is big enough. OS9 should be on a partition of at least 700 meg, mainly to have extra space for when you download things.

A G3 will not run the latest version of OS-X, unless it has both built-in USB and FireWire. I think only the later iMacs have this. My G3 Tower and G3 Desktop will run nothing later than 10.2 (Jaguar). Also it has trouble updating OS-X.

RAM depends on how big your family file is. Mine is about 1000 people & I have never needed much RAM. Try before you buy.

If you buy RAM, I recommend Data Memory Systems:
http://www.datamem.com/

They are inexpensive, and are careful to check that you are getting the correct RAM for your machine.

Dan Killoran

theKiwi
01 September 2005, 03:55 PM
You can download OS 9.1 from:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75103

You don't need a CD. Just download the above stuff.The iMac in question has Mac OS 8 on it according to the original poster. The link provided above for Mac OS 9.1 is only for the update from Mac OS 9.0.x

You need to by Mac OS 9.0 and use the free updater referenced above, or buy a Mac OS 9.1 CD.

Roger

MabryBenson
01 September 2005, 07:33 PM
I use OS 8.6 on my fisrt generation G4 & Reunion 8 works just fine. I do have lots of memory.
Mabry Benson

Troy
01 September 2005, 08:19 PM
My sincere thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my request for help.

The information is very helpful to educating me into the Mac world.

I look forward to getting the iMac G3, installing Reunion and then using all the great information you provided to change the system and hardware, as necessary.

Thanks again.

Troy---

Bob Partridge
10 September 2005, 10:18 PM
I decided to convert to Mac (am buying a used one) so I can use Reunion; however, I do NOT know the first thing about Mac's, so need some help with the basics, if anyone would be so kind to help...Hi Troy,

You can buy Move to Mac (not that much $) and it will move all PC files to your Mac. I had a ton on my PC. The less than 0.1% I can't open is because the application isn't supported. Hope your Mac supports Move to Mac. It's simple to use. I started out with Mac when my son entered Drexel in 1982. It was the first Univ. to require all students have a computer. Mac was so intuitive and easy to use. Hardly a need to use the book. Went to a PC later because not enough programs for Mac. PC crashed to much!!! Back to mac. also great for photography and graphics. Also, many more programs now for Macs. PCs copied a large % of Apple's point and click for Windows. do you have a good book about your Mac? I find them very useful now that the computer can do so much!!! got mine at amazon.com.

Good luck Bob

Troy
11 September 2005, 09:22 AM
You can buy Move to Mac (not that much $) and it will move all PC files to your Mac....Bob---

Thanks for the information. I will check it out.

My "new-to-me" iMac should arrive next week and the Reunion CD has already arrived.

I look forward to learning how-to-using them both.

Take care.

Troy---