PDA

View Full Version : Reunion 8 incompatible with Character Palette

Richard Wolters
27 August 2005, 09:40 AM
I am using Reunion 8.0.6 and Mac OS X 4.2 (Tiger) on a dual 1.4ghz PowerPC G4. I have German ancestors with umlauted characters in their names. However, when I bring up the Character Palette, the 'insert' button is grayed out so I can't insert any umlauted characters. The Character Palette works fine with MacFamilyTree, but not with Reunion 8.

Anyone have any work-arounds?

Thank you,

Richard

David G. Kanter
27 August 2005, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=Richard Wolters]

saoi
27 August 2005, 12:42 PM
However, when I bring up the Character Palette, the 'insert' button is grayed out so I can't insert any umlauted characters...Anyone have any work-arounds?Sure. Don't use the Character Palette. For one thing it's not necessary. Using a standard American keyboard (I presume that's what you're using), all umlauted characters can be gotten to directly from the keyboard. Option u + the vowel you want the umlaut (or dieresis) over (that would be a,e,i,o,u & y)

One of the few failings in Reunion is good support for accented characters and especially those of eastern Europe and non Roman characters.

rich

Richard Wolters
27 August 2005, 01:33 PM
...Using a standard American keyboard (I presume that's what you're using), all umlauted characters can be gotten to directly from the keyboard. Option u + the vowel you want the umlaut (or dieresis) over (that would be a,e,i,o,u & y)Sorry Rich, doesn't work. I get the umlaut, but not the vowel.

Richard

Richard Wolters
27 August 2005, 01:34 PM
I use PopChar X. (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14804)...Thank you David, I'll take a look at PopChar X.

Richard

David G. Kanter
27 August 2005, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=Richard Wolters]

Dennis J. Cunniff
27 August 2005, 03:39 PM
When I bring up the Character Palette, the 'insert' button is grayed out so I can't insert any umlauted characters.The typing hints below should work, but: even when the insert button is greyed out, you can click and drag a character from the character palatte over to the edit window in Reunion and "drop" it where you need it.

This works exactly as anticipated for characters within the font you've using in the edit window (and

Richard Wolters
27 August 2005, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=David G. Kanter]After you type the combination of Option+U for the umlaut, you then need to release the Option key before you type the vowel that is to have the umlaut over it. (At least that works for me