PDA

View Full Version : New Member Question

Troy
25 August 2005, 08:44 PM
Hi---

I used to use Reunion many years ago and would like to get the latest version, but need to get a Mac computer (as I understand that is what is required).

Since there is a "fixed income" issue, I was thinking about getting a used one via E-Bay, but need some advice as to what to look for.

There seem to be some reasonably priced (for me) imac g3's; but I don't know what minimum speed or ram or what else I should look for to run Reunion.

Please help.

Thanks.

Troy---

SGilbert
25 August 2005, 09:12 PM
If Reunion is all you are interested in, then any Mac will do. Either OS9 or OSX. In reality, though, I would think you'd not like anything slower than 200MHz and 256 Meg ram.

David G. Kanter
25 August 2005, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=Troy]

johnpritt
26 August 2005, 02:32 AM
I agree with David's suggestions. If you're looking at second hand models, you have a lot of choice -- starting with iBooks through iMacs and eMacs up to the bigger machines. I would strongly recommend you get as big a hard drive as possible and, as David says, at least 512mb of RAM.
I worked for a long time with just an iBook that had a 10gb hard drive. It was fine until I started taking digital photos and recording music, when the 10gb suddenly looked awfully small! The latest versions of the operating system also take up a lot of room, so bigger is defintely better.
Also consider whether or not you want a CD drive or a DVD drive. The latest version of OSX comes by default on a DVD, for example, and I suppose that this trend will continue on the future. You can always add an external drive later, but it's an additional cost. Make sure that if you get a "humble" second hand Mac that it can write as well as read CDs. Most can, but check.

DanKilloran
27 August 2005, 09:44 AM
Since there is a "fixed income" issue, I was thinking about getting a used one via E-Bay, but need some advice as to what to look for.

There seem to be some reasonably priced (for me) imac g3's; but I don't know what minimum speed or ram or what else I should look for to run Reunion.Try
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=Promos&siteID=JWU6hEpoB3Q-%2AlXdj0ckSa3JsvECp881Rw

for refurbished, warrantied, Macs. You can get even cheaper ones used, but MAKE SURE THE ONE YOU BUY HAS BOTH BUILT-IN USB AND FIREWIRE. Not because you need them, but because the latest OS, Tiger, requires them or it won't install!

Speed is completely unimportant, unless you are doing movies.

Dan Killoran

juadro
27 August 2005, 10:28 AM
Others can comment better on this aspect than I, but, I'll point out that, if you are lured into considering a used laptop, ... the battery in a laptop can be a problem. I have an orange [clamshell] iBook and it can't function without constant connection to its power cord.
Robert Steuer

Troy
30 August 2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the information and help everyone.

Take care.

Troy---