PDA

View Full Version : Converting Family Tree Maker files???

John Bartholomew
24 August 2005, 10:57 PM
I have been using Family Tree Maker on a Mac G3, OS 9.2.2. The G3 went belly-up, but my files are backed up on a Zip disk.

Have recently purchased a G4 eMac running Tiger and just installed Reunion 8.

Is there a way to import my FTM files into Reunion from the Zip disk? I do have an external Zip drive for the new Mac.

John Bartholomew

Bob Goode
24 August 2005, 11:28 PM
I have been using Family Tree Maker on a Mac G3, OS 9.2.2. The G3 went belly-up, but my files are backed up on a Zip disk.

Have recently purchased a G4 eMac running Tiger and just installed Reunion 8.

Is there a way to import my FTM files into Reunion from the Zip disk? I do have an external Zip drive for the new Mac.

John Bartholomew
John,
Tiger does not come with the "classic" environment, however, you may be able to install it, if your discs that came with the computer includes the "Classic" OS9.2 system. See if you have the disc "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test". If so, then check to see if it includes the OS 9.2 system. You will then need to install your old Family Tree Maker into the OS 9 Applications Folder. Then open your old files, convert them into a gedcom to import into Reunion in OS X. There may be an easier way, if so, perhaps someone else can help.

If your Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test disc does not have the OX 9 system, the Apple web site states that OS9 is available for purchase from the Apple Store on line or 1 800 My Apple.

Bob

SGilbert
24 August 2005, 11:31 PM
Do you have the FTM program that you can install on your new Mac? If not, I'm sure you can find it on the web.

Create a gedcom and save it. Reunion will import the FTM's gedcom.

Bob Goode
24 August 2005, 11:35 PM
Do you have the FTM program that you can install on your new Mac? If not, I'm sure you can find it on the web.

Create a gedcom and save it. Reunion will import the FTM's gedcom.
John,
S Gilbert did not explain that since your FTM application was an OS9 app that you must have the OS9 system on your computer before it will work. Refer to my previous post in this thread.

Bob

SGilbert
25 August 2005, 12:14 AM
Yup! As he says. Touche'

Lil
25 August 2005, 07:07 PM
Tiger does not come with the "classic" environment, however, you may be able to install it, if your discs that came with the computer includes the "Classic" OS9.2 system. See if you have the disc "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test". If so, then check to see if it includes the OS 9.2 system. You will then need to install your old Family Tree Maker into the OS 9 Applications Folder. Then open your old files, convert them into a gedcom to import into Reunion in OS X. There may be an easier way, if so, perhaps someone else can help.A friend wishes to install a FTM file, created on a Mac when FTM was still keeping up with Mac OSs, onto a new (to-be-installed) Reunion 8. Reunion will be installed onto her OS 10.3 (Panther). She says that to look at her FTM now, she has to be in Classic (OS 9). Is there any variation from the above directions due to the file being in Classic? It looks as though doing a GEDCOM file, exporting it, and then importing into Reunion should work.
I'd like to be able to help her with this.

Lil

Bob Goode
25 August 2005, 10:55 PM
A friend wishes to install a FTM file, created on a Mac when FTM was still keeping up with Mac OSs, onto a new (to-be-installed) Reunion 8. Reunion will be installed onto her OS 10.3 (Panther). She says that to look at her FTM now, she has to be in Classic (OS 9). Is there any variation from the above directions due to the file being in Classic? It looks as though doing a GEDCOM file, exporting it, and then importing into Reunion should work.
I'd like to be able to help her with this.You have the correct plan of action. Everything described above should allow your friend to successfully import the gedcom she made in FTM using Classic into OSX Panther's Reunion application.

Ed Dorroh
25 August 2005, 11:17 PM
If you wind up having to make a GEDCOM and importing that into Reunion, let me know, and I will share my experiences and advice. It is NOT TRIVIAL! I went from FTM on a PC via GEDCOM to Reunion on a Mac about a year ago.
The basic issue is that GEDCOM accomodates only the basic information. You can be "smart" with the GEDCOM and get a lot more transferred, but a lot of what you have in FTM will have to be entered by hand.
Ed Dorroh

B Jansen
29 September 2005, 10:30 PM
If you wind up having to make a GEDCOM and importing that into Reunion, let me know, and I will share my experiences and advice. It is NOT TRIVIAL! I went from FTM on a PC via GEDCOM to Reunion on a Mac about a year ago. The basic issue is that GEDCOM accomodates only the basic information. You can be "smart" with the GEDCOM and get a lot more transferred, but a lot of what you have in FTM will have to be entered by hand.My cousin (who uses a PC version of FTM 2006) and I do genealogy together, but I am a commited Mac and Reunion user. We would like to be able to transfer data between us on a frequent and ongoing basis as we learn more. What is the "smart" way of GEDCOM transfers for the two of us? We are both willing to edit our programs to tailor them more closely together but neither one of us knows how best to do this. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks Reunion community, I've been greatly impressed with the list and the answers already found here for other questions.

bogong
30 September 2005, 06:24 PM
I have a cousin who sent me three GEDCOM versions of her Windows FTM files ...

The basic GEDCOM, names and dates only, loaded straight into Reunion.

The GEDCOM 5.5, with all the detail I wanted - sources, etc., loads only one piece of data - a wedfding date/ location, nothing else, not even names.

The FTM GEDOM does the same ...

So I would appreciate any help / advice in transferring these files into Reunion ...

bogong

Ed Dorroh
03 October 2005, 11:45 PM
My cousin (who uses a PC version of FTM 2006) and I do genealogy together, but I am a commited Mac and Reunion user. We would like to be able to transfer data between us on a frequent and ongoing basis as we learn more. What is the "smart" way of GEDCOM transfers for the two of us? We are both willing to edit our programs to tailor them more closely together but neither one of us knows how best to do this. Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks Reunion community, I've been greatly impressed with the list and the answers already found here for other questions.Some of the problems that I ran into, mostly from my original move from FTM to Reunion, but some that I have found in trying to send my files to cousins who use FTM (not prioritized).

- Tag differences

joyjoyn1
30 October 2005, 11:13 PM
If you wind up having to make a GEDCOM and importing that into Reunion, let me know, and I will share my experiences and advice. It is NOT TRIVIAL! I went from FTM on a PC via GEDCOM to Reunion on a Mac about a year ago.
The basic issue is that GEDCOM accomodates only the basic information. You can be "smart" with the GEDCOM and get a lot more transferred, but a lot of what you have in FTM will have to be entered by hand.Hi,

I just recently bought my first mac. I have an ibook g4, and had a pc laptop with an old version of family tree maker. I was wondering if anyone could help me with transferring these files over to my new mac. Also, from what I understand, family tree maker does not make a new mac version, so I was wondering how family tree maker compares with the reunion software package? From what it sounds like, if I can figure out how to make a gedcom file, there should be a way to transfer, however, I am not sure if my old version of family tree maker can make a gedcom. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stacy

AE Palmer
31 October 2005, 06:45 PM
Hi,

I just recently bought my first mac. I have an ibook g4, and had a pc laptop with an old version of family tree maker. I was wondering if anyone could help me with transferring these files over to my new mac. Also, from what I understand, family tree maker does not make a new mac version, so I was wondering how family tree maker compares with the reunion software package? From what it sounds like, if I can figure out how to make a gedcom file, there should be a way to transfer, however, I am not sure if my old version of family tree maker can make a gedcom. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stacy

Congratulations on getting the iBook. With time, you will find it to be a very nice package to use.

As for comparing FTM and Reunion, I can say with certitude, everybody on this list uses Reunion and does so because it serves their needs. That said, Reunion is immensely powerful and easy to learn to use. I find it very well laid out and carefully crafted with very few bugs.

Since you are new to both the Mac platform and Reunion, do spend some time browsing the Reunion Manual

joyjoyn1
31 October 2005, 09:48 PM
Thank you very much! I will check to see if I can create a gedcom file with my ftm software. I have been looking into where to buy the reunion software, any words of wisdom?

David G. Kanter
01 November 2005, 12:40 AM
I have been looking into where to buy the reunion software, any words of wisdom?Go to the Leister Productions "Where To Buy Reunion" Web page (http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/Buy.html). There you'll find a link to "Buy Reunion, right now!" from their on-line store as well as other sources of Reunion. I'd encourage you to use that link and buy directly from Leister Productions. While you might find Reunion available for a few dollars less elsewhere, in my opinion, those few extra dollars going directly to the developer are making an additional investment in the future of Reunion.

Ed Dorroh
05 November 2005, 12:40 AM
I just recently bought my first mac. I have an ibook g4, and had a pc laptop with an old version of family tree maker. I was wondering if anyone could help me with transferring these files over to my new mac.... Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I went through this about a year ago, also just after I had bought a Mac, hence my comment. I still have a stack of notes, etc. that I made at that time and some questions/answers from contacts with Leister. If you are interested, contact me off list (so we don't waste other people's time) and I will dig out the notes and maybe save you some time in the conversion - jus97now@ev1.net.
If you would rather do it on this list that's OK too - I'll just have to summarize my notes and post them here.
Ed Dorroh

NanKNels
08 February 2006, 07:41 PM
The basic issue is that GEDCOM accomodates only the basic information. You can be "smart" with the GEDCOM and get a lot more transferred, but a lot of what you have in FTM will have to be entered by hand.
Ed Dorroh
Ed
I have years of work dating back to 1087 on my Gateway in Family Tree Maker 7.5
I need a new computer and would love to go back to mac (new desktop Mac with the intel chip) and use Reunion for now on. BUT... I need to be sure that I can transfer ALL my data from FTM to Reunion without any problems. I have over 700 names and do not want to retype any of the information.
What do you suggest?

theKiwi
08 February 2006, 09:52 PM
If you would rather do it on this list that's OK too - I'll just have to summarize my notes and post them here.
Ed DorrohI would like to see that. I have transferred parts of several files to Reunion and am not aware that I didn't get everything I thought I'd get.

Roger

Ed Dorroh
12 February 2006, 06:28 PM
Ed
I have years of work dating back to 1087 on my Gateway in Family Tree Maker 7.5
I need a new computer and would love to go back to mac (new desktop Mac with the intel chip) and use Reunion for now on. BUT... I need to be sure that I can transfer ALL my data from FTM to Reunion without any problems. I have over 700 names and do not want to retype any of the information.
What do you suggest?

As far as I know, there is not a way to make the conversion without some retyping. See my other post today in which Roger asked me to post my list of issues in that conversion. Maybe someone a lot smarter than I am in the GEDCOM world could help you minimize that retyping.
I had about 1200 names and 225 sources and I got through it and am happy that I made the conversion, but it was not trivial to say the least.

theKiwi
12 February 2006, 07:29 PM
As far as I know, there is not a way to make the conversion without some retyping. See my other post today in which Roger asked me to post my list of issues in that conversion.

I've only seen this post by you (Ed Dorroh) show up today?

Roger