PDA

View Full Version : Multiple relationships in families

Meryl
24 August 2005, 09:22 PM
I had started entering the data for my Great Uncles family when I went back to Philadelphia and discovered that his wife was the sister of my Great Aunt's husband (my great uncle's sister). So now the mother of the Great Uncle's wife is also the mother of Great Aunt's husband. I had already entered her name as the mother of my great uncle's wife. I then tried to add my great-aunt's husband as the sister of the great uncle's husband(I know this is getting confusing). In other words a sister and brother married another sister and brother. So how do I show they are sister and brother as well as in-laws and add them as children of their mother without creating duplicate cards.

I am going to have a similar problem when I get to another branch of the family where 2 sisters of one family married 2 brothers from another family but I figured that might be easier since the sisters of one family have the same parents etc.

I looked in the manual but multiple relationships seems to only apply when 2 blood relatives marry each other and this is not the case.

Help!!
Meryl

SGilbert
24 August 2005, 10:13 PM
I've got several similiar situations as yours, including 2 sisters marrying 2 brothers. All you can do, when entering, is to use "existing sibling/spouse/etc" instead of entering as new. Reunion, unless I am totally uninformed, will only show the closest relationship.

However, on lists, charts, etc; unless you check "remove duplicates", they will all be listed in approprite places.

Frank Mitchell
24 August 2005, 10:13 PM
I had started entering the data for my Great Uncles family when I went back to Philadelphia and discovered that his wife was the sister of my Great Aunt's husband (my great uncle's sister). So now the mother of the Great Uncle's wife is also the mother of Great Aunt's husband. I had already entered her name as the mother of my great uncle's wife. I then tried to add my great-aunt's husband as the sister of the great uncle's husband(I know this is getting confusing). In other words a sister and brother married another sister and brother. So how do I show they are sister and brother as well as in-laws and add them as children of their mother without creating duplicate cards.You can't directly "add a brother" or "add a sister", you enter them has additional children of their parents.

What you should have done is...

Go to the family card of the parents of great uncle #1, select 'Add Existing Female Child' and choose wife #2 from the list.

Go to the family card of the parents of wife #1, select 'Add Existing Male Child' and choose the great uncle #2 from the list.

Depending on what you have already done, if you are asked whether to 'move' the children or 'duplicate' them choose move.

(You only refer to their mothers. If this means you don't know their fathers, replace 'parents' with 'mother' in the above.

Good luck,
Frank

Mary Arthur
25 August 2005, 12:54 PM
I am going to have a similar problem when I get to another branch of the family where 2 sisters of one family married 2 brothers from another family but I figured that might be easier since the sisters of one family have the same parents etc.Your question has been answered, but I have a suggestion.

This is extremly common in my file, so I introduced a flag called 'sibs married' and I have another called 'married a relative'. This reminds me, if I am checking census, to look for the second family at the same time - not that you shouldn't always look for families with wife's maiden name in the same area!