PDA

View Full Version : Probably hopeless

tomsmith322
24 August 2005, 01:58 AM
This is a long story, so feel free to ignore it. But old mac folks and people who know something about Reunion 4.0 may be able to help me out if you want.

Once upon a time, many years ago, my mother (rest her soul) got a bug to do some geneological research and she went to Ireland and Salt Lake etc. to gather information. I had given her a Mac (an SE!) and she put the info on it. After she died, a relative wiped the mac and gave it away.

BUT! Recently my brother came across a stack of floppy disks in a box titled 'Geneology Backup' with dates from ~10 years ago. And one of them was titled 'Reunion 4.0 APPL'.

Since I am the computer guy in the family, I was asked to see if any of her work could be recovered. (I am not much of a history buff, but my nieces really hope that there is some way to recover the data-and I am a sucker for them.)

So, I am asking for some help.

Of course the floppies were mac formatted and not readable by my PC and my G4 mac does not have a floppy drive...But there is the internet and this weekend I got a program called MacDisk that allowed me to make disk images of most of the old floppies (alas, the earliest ones were too old to read, but I think her subsequent backups have all the data).

I can most likely port the disk images over to my G4, and also perhaps the application too (although I doubt that).

So, I have some questions for you good people.

1) If the 4.0 app was backed up properly, would it run on OSX?

2) Did Reunion 4.0 have a backup or export feature that she might have used?

3) Can the newest version of Reunion read the raw 4.0 database files (or whatever was used back then)? Or import any export files that might be there?

4) Has anyone ever done this?

I know absolutely nothing about Reunion except that I bought it for my mom sometime back in the mid '90s and she loved it. Still, I have hopes--Mac developers have always been a bit sharper than the rest. So who knows? Any help?

I will probably dive into this again next weekend, so any advice would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Be well,

Tom

David G. Kanter
24 August 2005, 02:42 AM
1) If the 4.0 app was backed up properly, would it run on OSX?No.

2) Did Reunion 4.0 have a backup or export feature that she might have used?It had (at least) an Export->GEDCOM, but I'd expect (and hope) that she, instead, just backed up her native Family File.

3) Can the newest version of Reunion read the raw 4.0 database files (or whatever was used back then)?Yes. Reunion 8 will upgrade Family Files from versions 4 through 7.

Or import any export files that might be there?Yes (presuming the Export was to a GEDCOM file).

But I'd recommend that your best next step would be to call (or otherwise contact) Leister Productions with a list of the files on those floppy disks you could read to see whether they can perhaps help you understand just what you have from v4--including whether they could, if need be, help with reading what's on those "unreadable" ones.

Frank Mitchell
24 August 2005, 07:08 AM
It had (at least) an Export->GEDCOM, but I'd expect (and hope) that she, instead, just backed up her native Family File.

Reunion 4 had a File->Backup command, but it also compressed the backup so that larger families would fit on a floppy. A "Restore" command in Reunion was used to re-expand the backup.

If your mother used this you will probably need Leister's help with that too.

Good luck,
Frank

Michael
24 August 2005, 10:44 AM
Hi Tom,

As long as the files/disks are intact, we should be able to help. Contact me via email for more details...

help@leisterpro.com

martha
25 August 2005, 01:47 AM
...So, I have some questions for you good people.

1) If the 4.0 app was backed up properly, would it run on OSX?

2) Did Reunion 4.0 have a backup or export feature that she might have used?

3) Can the newest version of Reunion read the raw 4.0 database files (or whatever was used back then)? Or import any export files that might be there?

4) Has anyone ever done this?Tom, I still have my Mac SE and my Performa and my Reunion 4. Let me know if I can help you.

Martha [in Israel]

tomsmith322
25 August 2005, 03:46 AM
Martha [in Israel]

Bless you my dear!

I will be giving it my best shot (and I am darn good--I think) but if it doesn't work out, trust me, you will be getting some ancient disks via FedEx! <grin>

Thanks for the good thoughts!

Tom