PDA

View Full Version : Switching Between OS 9 and X?

botteron
23 August 2005, 07:45 PM
If a Mac has both 9 and X installed, how do you switch between them? I'm especially interested in the 9 -> X switch.

I have been using OS 9.0.4 on my G3. Recently I installed OS 10.3. I found a version of Eudora (version 6-something; I've been using Eudora 6.1 for email) but it was completely empty, that is, it didn't have my mailboxes and mail.

Needing my mail, I found a way to change which version started up. It seemed so obvious that I didn't write it down. :-(

Now I can't get OS X to start up. How do I do that? And once I'm in X, how do I get 9 back?

I tried starting it with each of the 10.3 disks in the drive but it still came up in 9.

Once OS X is running, how can I get Eudora to recognize my old mailboxes and mail? If I download Eudora 6.2, will that do it?

Will I eventually be glad I installed 10.3? Right now I wish I hadn't, because it hogged half of my 6-gig drive, so I have only 1 gig left.

adTHANKSvance!
Carol Botteron <botteron@alum.mit.edu>

SGilbert
23 August 2005, 08:46 PM
Carol,

Having both on my Powerbook, I can answer your "switching" question, but would highly recommend 1) using OS X only; and/or 2) Upgrading both---9 to 9.2.2 and X to 10.4.2. That way you will not need 9 at all because those applications will run in "Classic" on X, and you will only need the X version of duplicates of programs.

While in 9, go to Apple menu, Control Panels, Startup Disk, and choose 10.3 (or the far better 10.4.2). While in X, fo to the dock at the bottom, System Preferences, Startup Disk, and choose 9.0.4 (or the far better 9.2.2). You'll be told to "Restart" in both occasions.

I cannot address Eudora at all--sorry.

botteron
23 August 2005, 08:57 PM
...recommend 1) using OS X only; and/or 2) Upgrading both---9 to 9.2.2 and X to 10.4.2.Thank you. Eventually I guess I'll use X only but I have to get it working first. Since I've already installed 10.3 and have only 1 gig of space left, would I be able to install 10.4? Is it possible to remove 10.3?

While in 9, go to Apple menu, Control Panels, Startup Disk, and choose 10.3 (or the far better 10.4.2).When I do that, my choices are not OSs but disks -- my hard drive or "Network Disk" (whatever that is).

SGilbert
23 August 2005, 10:53 PM
Firstly, something is wrong. On YOUR hard drive in the Startup Disk control panel; there should be a right facing triangle's arrow. Click it to show the OS's in that HD. One of them should be OSX. Clivk it to highlight it. Then click restart.

In a pinch, shut down and/or restart while holding the "X" key, and it will start up with X.

Installing from an X CD/DVD install disk will remove the "old" X version and install the "new" X version.

Warning! (However, I have never heeded it and never had a problem) back up all importent documents before installing a new OS.

Suggestion: Acquire Alsoft's DiskWarrior (v 3.0.3 is newest) and/or Micromat's TechTool Pro (v 4.0.5 is newest). They fix many problems even before you know you have one.

SVass
24 August 2005, 06:30 PM
I
Will I eventually be glad I installed 10.3? Right now I wish I hadn't, because it hogged half of my 6-gig drive, so I have only 1 gig left.

adTHANKSvance!
Carol Botteron <botteron@alum.mit.edu>
On your hard disk under Library/Printers, there are folders for Epson, Canon, and other manufacturers. If you delete the folders for the manufacturers of printers that you do not have and will never use, then you can regain hundreds of megabytes of space. Somewhere there are instructions for deleting and not updating language support that you may not need. I only recommend this for those who need additional space and are FULLY backed up. sam

SGilbert
24 August 2005, 06:37 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with Sam, as I just got info on my "printers" folder, and it is 1.5 Gigs! However, I urge you to be very cautious what you delete in X, as the uninitiated can cause HAVOC!

Bob White
25 August 2005, 03:55 AM
The easiest way? Go to System Preferences and click on the Classic button. In the resulting dialog box, you will see a check box for "Show Classic Status in Menu Bar." Click this on and a OS9 symbol will appear toward the right hand end of the menu bar. You can always tell the status of Classic by whether the symbol is colorful or grayed out.

Now whenever you want to start Classic, hold down on the symbol for a popup menu in which one of the choices is Start Classic. Another of the choices is Apple Menu Items. While in Classic, add your Eudora to the Apple Menu Items. The result: When Classic is not running, pop up the Classic menu, navigate to Eudora in the Apple Menu Items, choose Eudora and, voila, both Classic and then Eudora will start up with one mouse click.

botteron
25 August 2005, 10:26 PM
The easiest way? Go to System Preferences and click on the Classic button. ...

Thank you, but ... Pretzel-F (Sherlock2) found several items called "System Preferences," only one from this year. None of them will open -- "application not found." Is System Preferences supposed to be under the apple menu?

This is getting awfully frustrating. I haven't had problems with this G3 before. Suggestions greatly appreciated!

SGilbert
25 August 2005, 11:40 PM
I think you are confusing 9 & X!

In X, System Preferences is a white square box in your dock (that's the line of apps at the bottom). If it's not there, look in your Applications folder, or possibly the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

That's great!--"Pretzel-F (Sherlock2)"--love it! If you are getting "application not found."---you'll need to at least repair permissions with "Disk Utility" typically found in the afore mentioned Utilities folder. Aftermarket utilities are better, but try that.

Let us know, then we'll go further!

Al mitchell
26 August 2005, 07:01 PM
You do not have to jump through hoops to find "System Preferences" in 10.3. Just click the Apple and you will see "System Preferences" in the drop down menu.

botteron
26 August 2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks again, but, as I said in my first message, I'm in 9 and can't get back to X. I'm definitely in 9, not confused.

Repeating my main question -- I have 9. Installed 10.3. Switched back to 9 because in X, Eudora couldn't find my mail. How do I switch back to X?

"Startup disk" has disks (my hard drive "Mnemosyne" and "Network Disk") not OSs. "System preferences" is not in the apple menu, and when I find it, it won't open.

What do DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro do?

SGilbert
26 August 2005, 10:23 PM
Let me try this one-more-time.

While in 9, open Startup Disk in Control Panels (under apple Menu)

You SHOULD see "Mnemosyne" and "Network Disk"

To the left of "Mnemosyne" there SHOULD be an arrow pointing right. Click it to make it point DOWN. There, you SHOULD see OS 9.xx (whatever you have) and OSX (in your case 10.3)

Highlight the 10.3, and click RESTART.

If that doesn't work, shut down, place finger on the "X" key and restart. DO NOT REMOVE your finger until you see the grey screen with the large dark grey Apple logo on screen.

DiskWarrior is a program to repair directory damage; which, if the above does NOT work, you have! It is run from a CD as a Startup Disk.

TechTool Pro is an all purpose repair utility and does most tasks well, but not directory damage.

Al mitchell
28 August 2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks again, but, as I said in my first message, I'm in 9 and can't get back to X. I'm definitely in 9, not confused.

Repeating my main question -- I have 9. Installed 10.3. Switched back to 9 because in X, Eudora couldn't find my mail. How do I switch back to X?

"Startup disk" has disks (my hard drive "Mnemosyne" and "Network Disk") not OSs. "System preferences" is not in the apple menu, and when I find it, it won't open.

What do DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro do?

Just follow SGilbert's instructions and you should be back in 10.3 land. Things tend to get confusing when you use the same terms which have different meanings in different systems. OS9 does not have a "Systems Preferences" like 10.3 so stop trying to find it in OS9. You should check the Eudora site for mail issues. Apple Support is a great resource too. Also check out http://www.macosxhints.com . I don't think you need DiskWarrior for your current issue.

SGilbert
04 September 2005, 10:42 PM
Well, botteron? Any updates? We can't be of further help, if needed, unless we know what's going on.

Also, it's nice to know if we "hit-the-nail-on-the-head" or are "way-off base"!