View Full Version : Entering Bastard Children?

19 August 2005, 10:14 PM

Excuse the naughty word, I believe that's what they called them back then. Im just wondering how/where you enter them in Reunion?....basically Ive discovered that a great great Auntie had a son (Thomas Reedman) before she got married (the father isnt mentioned on the birth certificate).

She did a few years later get married to a Charles Woodward, but I can't add Thomas as her son where you usually put the children because Charles isnt the father.

So please help me find a home for Thomas.



19 August 2005, 10:33 PM
I have exactly the same problem but with a twist. An aunt had a son out of wedlock and gave hime up for adoption. She subsequently married later in life but she and her husband did not have any children. After the death of her husband, she was contacted by her illegitimate son who had decided to search for his parents. His surname is the name of his adoptive parents. How do I fit all these pieces together so that when charted it does not look as if her son is the product of her marriage? How do I account for the adoptive family?

David G. Kanter
20 August 2005, 01:50 AM

20 August 2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks David, that's found Thomas a home :)

25 January 2007, 03:49 PM
I have named my g-g-grandfather "Mr. X". My mother likes to think he is Roger, whom Hattie married a couple of years later, but I am not convinced at all. He is "Mr. X" in all my charts.

?? Now what I would like to do is to move the "ray" lines on the fan chart the way I can move the "arc" lines, so as to remove space from his unknown forbears and give the space to other people whom I do know, to make it all a little more legible! Any ideas?

22 May 2008, 02:43 PM
You just need to create another Family Card for the mother using the green "+" pop-up menu next to her name and select New Spouse. (Don't worry about it saying "Spouse" as you'll change their Marriage Status to "Unmarried".) .....

However, if you choose the "view other children" option, it lists the unmarried mother of the illegitimate child as "other spouse" which she isn't. Can you fix that?

(my counselor says illegitimate is an outdated and unnecessary word, so maybe we SHOULD use the B word.)
forever digging up bones

Stephen Hill
06 September 2008, 01:58 PM
I enter the unmarried father and mother as either Common Law or Partner in the marriage box. Therefore the children are children of the Common Law/Partner pair. If there is just the mother to name the less fuss the better.

So there is no need to use the naughty word, as who ever looks at the cards can name the children of the parents as whatever.

After all we do not name the children born inside (wedlack, a slip of the finger) wedlock as legitimate so why call those outside the blanket illegitimate, or naughty word?

I believe that something like 62% are not wed in the UK, so Common Law, a legal term now I belive in the UK, or partner is used constantly.

However, if the parent of the naughty children, or the naughty child is within the last 60 years or so there can be problems as folks were very sensitive about this back then and if alive some still are. But, if you don't name you don't shame.


Steve Hill