PDA

View Full Version : Can I "save my place" in Reunion?

Anne_R
18 August 2005, 09:05 PM
Hi...new user here. I tried to find the answer to this in the manual, but either it's not there or I'm overlooking it.

When I start up my Reunion file, it always goes to my source individual...me. Is there a setting to make Reunion always start up to the page of the last individual saved?

Thanks,
Anne

David G. Kanter
19 August 2005, 12:17 AM
When I start up my Reunion file, it always goes to my source individual...me. Is there a setting to make Reunion always start up to the page of the last individual saved?While Reunion will initially open the Family Card currently designated as Home each time it's launched, the program remembers the last Family Card shown before you last quit the program. To get to that Family Card, just do a Back operation (i.e., click the Back button, do a Find->Back, or use the Command(Apple)-[ keyboard shortcut) immediately after launching the program. If you search the Manual for "last family card" and go to the 2nd found item ("The Family Card, Returning to the Home Card"), you'll find a Tip about this. (Note: That Back-immediately-after-launching operation does not necessarily take you to the Family Card of the last person for whom you did a Save; just the last Family Card you showed--whether or not you did a Save).

And just to address some terminology (at least from my perspective): While the "source individual" (or "source person") may well be the same person as one of those on the Home Family Card, usually "source" is used to mean the person for whom the most recent Find Relatives operation was performed--or the person (or couple) on whom a chart or report was created.

Anne_R
19 August 2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the tip, David. That will help a lot, though I still wish the program had an option to just start up immediately to the spot where I had last been. Saves a step (and it's what I'm used to from my previous program, PAF 2.3.1). :) Maybe I'll post my wish in the wish list!

Anne

David G. Kanter
19 August 2005, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=Anne_R]I still wish the program had an option to just start up immediately to the spot where I had last been

martha
19 August 2005, 11:22 PM
<...>As I mentioned the Find->Relatives operation in my earlier post, a couple of hints with regard to using the Relationships field on the Family Card for navigation. (That field is above the person's name, next to the Spouse [green "+"] pop-up menu.) If you click and hold in that field (even if it's empty for that person), you'll be shown in the Messages area (bottom left of the card in the Big Status Bar) who is the source person for the last-calculated relationships using Find->Relatives. If you release the click while still in that field, you'll be taken to the Family Card containing that source person. Caution: Keep in mind that any Find->Relatives operation was a snapshot at that time of the relationships. So if you add, delete, or change the links between Family Cards, you must do a fresh Find->Relatives operation to ensure the displayed relationships are current.

How clever!! I have been using Reunion forever and I never knew that!

Martha [in Israel]

Janet Binkley
20 August 2005, 11:00 PM
I read what the Manual says about putting names on the Quick Bar, but my Reunion 8.6 won't do it -- the name appears to drag to the bar (shown by a black-rimmed box) but doesn't appear on the Quick Bar. Holding the Control, Option, or Apple keys doesn't help. What's up?

David G. Kanter
21 August 2005, 01:02 AM
I read what the Manual says about putting names on the Quick Bar, but my Reunion 8.6 won't do itJust to better define how your Quickbar function is behaving/mis-behaving:

(1) Have you checked to ensure that the Show Quickbar is enabled in Options->Display?

(2) If so, do you see the Quickbar area (immediately below the Toolbar and before the background color at the top of the Family Card, above the top parent fields) with the pencil icon at its far right end?

(3) If you see the pencil icon, when you click it does it open the Edit Quickbar window?

the name appears to drag to the bar (shown by a black-rimmed box) but doesn't appear on the Quick Bar.. (4) While a being-dragged name will be represented by a dashed box (whether or not the Quickbar has been enabled), when the cursor gets the dashed box completely over the enabled Quickbar, there should then be an insertion-point marker (it's a vertical bar with carets at both ends) in the Quickbar--which identifies where the entry will be placed when you release the clicker. Do you see that insertion-point marker in your Quickbar after you've dragged a name's dashed box to where it's completely over the Quickbar, but before you release the clicker?

Let us know what you find regarding the above.

Holding the Control, Option, or Apple keys doesn't help.You shouldn't need to use any modifier key(s) to get an entry into the Quickbar

Janet Binkley
29 August 2005, 12:17 AM
Everything works for Quickbar as you described except that insertion-point marker with the two carets does not appear. What does that mean?

Janet Binkley
29 August 2005, 12:26 AM
Hey, I just figured it out -- the insertion point marker doesn't seem to appear until you already have at least one button on the Quickbar because when the Quickbar is still blank, the insertion line is over the line of the lefthand margin and doesn't show up well. Thanks.