PDA

View Full Version : Reunion v. 7

Lola
08 March 2005, 01:53 PM
Gee, I hope I'm not the only one still using v.7. And what's with the icons I should be able to use in my messages, but can't?

Michael
08 March 2005, 06:04 PM
And what's with the icons I should be able to use in my messages, but can't?The "Post Icons" refer to the icons that you can associate with your post or thread. An example would be the lightbulb icon I've added to this message.

If you want to include smilies within your message, then you'll need to type them in. Check out this page...

http://www.reuniontalk.com/doc/RThelp.html#smilies

...for more details on using smilies. :)

gwenboucher
08 March 2005, 09:46 PM
Gee, I hope I'm not the only one still using v.7. And what's with the icons I should be able to use in my messages, but can't?

No, Lola, you are not the only one still using Reunion 7. Call me old fashioned but I am comfortable with OS 9, and Reunion 7 has everything I need at this time. I realize that someday I may have to change to keep my data from becoming obsolete but don't look forward to everything that upgrading entails.

Gwen

Steve W. Jackson
09 March 2005, 12:02 PM
No, Lola, you are not the only one still using Reunion 7. Call me old fashioned but I am comfortable with OS 9, and Reunion 7 has everything I need at this time. I realize that someday I may have to change to keep my data from becoming obsolete but don't look forward to everything that upgrading entails.

Gwen

Gwen,

Reunion 7 is certainly not obsolete as long as Apple supports OS 9 for classic and it meets your needs. But let me assure you that there will be absolutely no need to change any of your data in Reunion when you're ready to move up to Reunion 8. The internal format of the family file has changed since R7, but that's all. If you were to buy R8 and attempt to open your R7 family file, you'd be asked for permission to upgrade it to the newer format. A new family file would be created in the R8 format, while the original (and the R7 program for using it) would remain untouched until you were satisfied that nothing got lost or damaged. By this time, though, I think it's a safe bet with so many of us using R8 for this long that nothing like that would happen.

So, come along when you're ready...just don't wait too long or you'll miss all the fun and new features!! :)

= Steve =

gwenboucher
10 March 2005, 09:07 AM
Steve, today we are at our place in the country, using a laptop and dialup. I could not remember my password last night but tried another one this morning and got logged on.

Thank you for the pep talk.

Updating Reunion is not the problem. Rather, it is all the other software. Maybe it is different with OSX but seems in the past every update had some preference that conflicted with an older version of some other program. Then there is the problem of going through and setting all the preferences, etc. I guess if my husband and I knew more it would be different. On the rare occasions when we see our son, David, I hate to ask him to spend his short time with us working on our computers.

David has OSX. Perhaps I should talk to him about it....but then there is that 28 year age difference and the fact that he grew up with a computer and my husband and I grew up playing outside. We got our first apple in 1980. When the librarians at his school had problems with their new computer they brought David out of his 4th or 5th grade classroom so he could show them how to use it.

Gwen Boucher

ttl
10 March 2005, 10:46 AM
Hi Gwen -

If you want to hear a few more supportive thoughts about R8 and OS X off-list, just email me at your convenience.

Update: I guess emailing is not going to be supported in this forum.

Apologies in advance to everyone still using an older version of Reunion. If you're happy with your setup, please skip this post. :D

It sounds as if you might be testing the waters, so here's some food for thought:

- You can upgrade to Reunion 8 without upgrading to OS X. And the list of conflicts with R8 is very small, as usual.

- My 82 year old father had trouble with Windows and OS 9. When he changed to OS X to take advantage of iPhoto, his technical support calls to me went down to almost zero. It's the first interface that made sense to him. YMMV.

- There are fewer application conflicts in OS X than in OS 9, it's much more stable (fewer crashes), and can run most if not all OS 9 applications seamlessly in its Classic mode. My computer has run months without requiring a restart.

- Yes, there's some investment in time and effort converting to OS X, but it's surprisingly low and will pay off with less work troubleshooting the system later.

Just one person's experience.
Tim

gwenboucher
10 March 2005, 08:54 PM
Tim, thanks for the encouragement.

Regarding the new Reunion Talk forum, there are some advantages but I miss being able to email directly.

Now I have a question. How did you get the smiley inserted into the message body?

ttl
11 March 2005, 09:52 AM
Now I have a question. How did you get the smiley inserted into the message body?

Easy! :)

Click on the ReunionTalk Help link above, then click on the Smilies link. That will give you a table of emoticons to type in your post that will automatically be converted to the graphic smilie.

Tim