PDA

View Full Version : In-laws & children

Kim Richmond
15 August 2005, 12:21 AM
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.
I am trying to create a chart from older to younger family members that shows all in-laws, spouses, ex-spouses, all children and siblings, not just blood line. How can I do that?
Thanks for any help.

David G. Kanter
15 August 2005, 02:44 PM
I am trying to create a chart from older to younger family members that shows all in-laws, spouses, ex-spouses, all children and siblings, not just blood line. How can I do that?While there is no "show everybody" chart, my most-favorite chart of all in Reunion is the Relative Chart--and it should do (or come very close) to what you want.

Make that chart from one of the last-generation children in the line for which you want the in-laws--making sure in the Layout's Hourglass setting you have disabled the "Ancestors and Descendants Only" option and, I suspect from your query, that you'd want to enable both of the "Include Siblings of

Kim Richmond
16 August 2005, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=David G. Kanter]While there is no "show everybody" chart, my most-favorite chart of all in Reunion is the Relative Chart--and it should do (or come very close) to what you want.

Make that chart from one of the last-generation children in the line for which you want the in-laws--making sure in the Layout's Hourglass setting you have disabled the "Ancestors and Descendants Only" option and, I suspect from your query, that you'd want to enable both of the "Include Siblings of

Mary Arthur
16 August 2005, 12:53 AM
Dear David,
Thank you for the extensive explanation. I follow you up to where you refer to Orientation. I don't find Orientation or reference to Tree in my program. I've searched in the Define Layouts and all the Menus for I find nothing the refers to those words. I see a reference to those however in the help section, but again not in the program. Can you help me out?When you create a Relative chart, the words at the top left of the computer change, and one of them is Tree, when you click on Tree, Orentation is the first of the options.

Kim Richmond
16 August 2005, 02:24 AM
When you create a Relative chart, the words at the top left of the computer change, and one of them is Tree, when you click on Tree, Orentation is the first of the options.Thanks Mary, but I do not find that on my program. When I create a Relative chart, the words at the top left are "Reunion" and "Edit" only.
KR

Bob Goode
16 August 2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks Mary, but I do not find that on my program. When I create a Relative chart, the words at the top left are "Reunion" and "Edit" only.Which version of Reunion are you using? I am using Reunion 8.06 and when I create a relative chart the menu bar has, from left to right, "File","Edit", and then "Tree". From the Tree pull down menu the first choice is Orientation.

Bob

Kim Richmond
16 August 2005, 07:32 PM
Maybe that's the problem. I have Reunion 6. Perhaps this cannot be done in this version. Is that the case (no Tree, no Orientation)?

Kim Richmond
17 August 2005, 12:22 AM
Maybe that's the problem. I have Reunion 6. Perhaps this cannot be done in this version. Is that the case (no Tree, no Orientation)?
Oops, my mistake! I'm using Reunion 8.04. Should that version have "Tree" in the Menu?

David G. Kanter
17 August 2005, 01:25 AM
. . .Should that version [8.04] have "Tree" in the Menu?Yes, but before going further to resolve the missing items in your menu bar, I suggest you should upgrade to the latest version of Reunion. That would v8.06 for OS X; v8.05 for OS 8.5-9.2.2 ("Classic"). (Don't know which OS you're using.)

The free maintenance updaters are on the Leister Productions Web site. (http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/Version8/Updatev8.html) As you'll see there, there're two updates you'll need to use to get to v8.06 for OS X--the first will take you to v8.05 for OS X; the second will take v8.05 to v8.06 (only for OS X). If you're still using the earlier OS, there's just the one different updater to take you to v8.05 for Classic.

Once you are to the latest version, let us know if you still have an incomplete menu bar.

martha
17 August 2005, 01:26 AM
Thanks Mary, but I do not find that on my program. When I create a Relative chart, the words at the top left are "Reunion" and "Edit" only.
KR

Kim, FIRST you have to make the chart and THEN look for the "orientation" under Tree.

Martha [in Israel]

Kim Richmond
18 August 2005, 11:52 AM
Kim, FIRST you have to make the chart and THEN look for the "orientation" under Tree.

Martha [in Israel]

Thank you Martha, David and Mary. I did the update to the latest version and didn't see any difference in the Menus, UNTIL I received this message from Martha telling me I had to make the chart FIRST, then the Tree item would appear. Thanks all.
Now, I will try to work with David's advice on how to make the chart that includes in-laws, which was my original quesiton.
KIM (in northern Wisconsin, soon to return home to Los Angeles)