PDA

View Full Version : Skipping generation? Semantics?

dchadduck
14 August 2005, 09:01 PM
I'm on version 8.06 and just noticed this oddity.
My son is my source person for my file. My person card shows me as "father".
My mother is shown as "grandmother". But her mother is shown as "gg grandmother". I thought gg meant great great. So what happened to just great, as in g grandmother? Or am I missing something here?
Thanks Doug My apologies if this shows up twice. My first attempt didn't go through. I think.

David G. Kanter
14 August 2005, 09:23 PM
My son is my source person for my file. My person card shows me as "father". . . .First--and perhaps you know this--keep in mind that any Find->Relatives calculation you ask Reunion to do is a snapshot of the relationships in the Family File at that moment--based on whomever you chose as the source person in the Relatives window. If people and linkages are then changed in the Family File, you need to do a fresh Find->Relatives to ensure all the displayed relationships are current.

My mother is shown as "grandmother". But her mother is shown as "gg grandmother". I thought gg meant great great. You are correct; it does.

So if doing a fresh Find->Relatives with your son as the source person doesn't clear things up, I'd click on the Overview--or run a Pedigree chart (with a Layout that has Relationship appended to Names)--from your son to see just what path Reunion shows from him to her. (That shouldn't be any different from what you'd find as you click your way up through the Family Cards, but seeing "the big picture" might help see what's up.)

dchadduck
14 August 2005, 09:59 PM
First--and perhaps you know this--keep in mind that any Find->Relatives calculation you ask Reunion to do is a snapshot of the relationships in the Family File at that moment--based on whomever you chose as the source person in the Relatives window. If people and linkages are then changed in the Family File, you need to do a fresh Find->Relatives to ensure all the displayed relationships are current.

Nothing has been changed, in this sense, since about day one of when I entered my data years ago

You are correct; it does.

So if doing a fresh Find->Relatives with your son as the source person doesn't clear things up, I'd run a Pedigree chart (with a Layout that has Relationship appended to Names) from your son and see just what path Reunion shows from him to her.

I may not have been to clear. On my son's person card, just above his name, it shows him as source. His sister, on her person card, is shown as sister. I am father. My mother is grandmother, and her mother was shown as gg grandmother. I just did a find relative and it seems to have reset itself to the proper place. I guess it just hiccuped. Strange. Guess I just need to find a relative on occasion to clear those things up. Thanks

David G. Kanter
14 August 2005, 11:41 PM
I may not have been to clear.Nope, it was clear as to what you were seeing.
I just did a find relative and it seems to have reset itself to the proper place.Good to hear.
I guess it just hiccuped.I'd never say never, but that's a first time I've heard of a calculated-relationship problem where there hadn't been a link issue or some other discrete error, but whatever caused it, it's behind you now.
Guess I just need to find a relative on occasion to clear those things up.I would suggest it's a good idea to make it a practice to do a fresh Find->Relatives anytime you really need to depend on what are the relationships throughout the Family File based on the current links. Whlle running that operation isn't an instantaneous process, in the overall scheme of things it doesn't take that long--and you'll have added confidence that, just in case some links had changed, the relationships will be a current snapshot.

dchadduck
15 August 2005, 01:52 AM
I would suggest it's a good idea to make it a practice to do a fresh Find->Relatives anytime you really need to depend on what are the relationships throughout the Family File based on the current links. Whlle running that operation isn't an instantaneous process, in the overall scheme of things it doesn't take that long--and you'll have added confidence that, just in case some links had changed, the relationships will be a current snapshot.I don't know that I've done a find/relative maybe a handful of time in the years I've had Reunion. Never really paid attention to that angle. Will have to pay closer attention if I use it on anything I print. Thanks for responding and your thoughts on the subject. Doug