PDA

View Full Version : Ancestors still alive!!

Bill Keene
13 August 2005, 12:32 PM
Hi - first time poster!!

Has anyone experienced this problem before, and perhaps have a solution?

When listing relatives under Find/Relatives..., and when checking the 'Living only' box in the 'List' dialog window, all my ancient ancestors from waaay back when are all listed.

I have deduced this is because there is no birth date for these ancestors, and so consequently with no age they do not qualify for automatic death (as it were) under Feasibility Checking. Apparently the system thinks they are still alive!

Does anyone know how I can avoid this without revisiting every one of the relevant ancestor cards as there are hundreds of them without a birth date?

Thanks

Bill

David G. Kanter
13 August 2005, 02:08 PM
When listing relatives under Find/Relatives..., and when checking the 'Living only' box in the 'List' dialog window, all my ancient ancestors from waaay back when are all listed.

I have deduced this is because there is no birth date for these ancestors, and so consequently with no age they do not qualify for automatic death (as it were) under Feasibility Checking. Apparently the system thinks they are still alive!

Does anyone know how I can avoid this without revisiting every one of the relevant ancestor cards as there are hundreds of them without a birth date?
My short answer is "No". Reunion is respecting the data (or lack of it) in each person's record, along with your setting in Options->Dates-> Feasibility Checking, so you need to explicitly tell it something from which it can make a different decision.

While you could use one or more Flags to identify who is living or not living--and that can be very helpful with regard to your Options->Reports->Privacy Filter--if you want Reunion's "Living only" to work properly (plus, more importantly, having your data be more complete), I don't see how you can avoid revisiting those not-still-living persons. But, even though they number in the hundreds, don't dispair. While marching through them will be tedious, it might not be that difficult--and, IMHO, well worth the effort.

You can use Find Anything to locate all those without both Birth Dates and Death Dates. (Conditions <Birth Date> <Is> <leave text field blank> AND <Death Date> <Is> <leave text field blank>) Then in the Found List window's Mark pop-up menu, select "Unmark Everybody in Family File, then Mark Everybody in List". Now you can Tab from one marked record to the next.

For each marked record that you wish to be considered not living: (1) Click the "Death" field in any View, (2) Add a question mark ("?") (the cursor will already be in the Death Date field); (3) Click Save (or use the Enter or, in this case, the Return key); (4) Click the Mark field (which will unmark the record); and (5) use the Tab key (which takes you to the next marked record). If the record should be left as is, just use #4 & #5 to unmark it and move to the next marked record.

If you have a macro utility (such as QuicKeys), you can set up one macro for persons on the left side of the Family Card and another for persons on the right side. (I believe you would need two as the #1 & #4 steps require a click in a different location on the Family Card. Note: There are also "mh" & "mw" keystrokes with which to toggle the marked status for the left-side and right-side persons, respectively.) In this case, as each record is displayed, you either invoke the appropriate macro--if the person is to be non-living--or use the Tab key, instead, if it's to be left unchanged.

In either case, when there are no more marked records, Reunion will give you a message in response to a Tab key.

Even without a macro utility, as the pattern of actions isn't that complex, I've often run through hundreds of cards to clean up a problem from using my prior data-entry protocols (or from having forgotten to follow a good protocol).

Bill Keene
14 August 2005, 09:40 PM
David

Great tip - works a treat! Many thanks for taking the time to help me.

Bill