PDA

View Full Version : Merging two trees

Ron Simonson
13 August 2005, 09:16 AM
I have not been active for a couple of years, having done my fathers tree with about a thousand names. I have finally located my mothers tree, and it has about the same numbers and goes back to the 1500's.

Question is, how do I best enter this info into Reunion? [running reunion 8 in 10.4] A new file for Brink, or just go backwards in the existing Simonson file.

Not all of the information is straightforward, the information of which was written in the 1800's, and typed from that info in the early 1900's. so the backward way seems to look the easiest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ron Simonson

Mary Arthur
13 August 2005, 01:08 PM
I have not been active for a couple of years, having done my fathers tree with about a thousand names. I have finally located my mothers tree, and it has about the same numbers and goes back to the 1500's.

Question is, how do I best enter this info into Reunion? [running reunion 8 in 10.4] A new file for Brink, or just go backwards in the existing Simonson file.

Not all of the information is straightforward, the information of which was written in the 1800's, and typed from that info in the early 1900's. so the backward way seems to look the easiest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ron Simonson

FYI, in my experience it is easier to separate one group of ancestors than it is to join two files at a later date. I would start with your mother in the existing file and enter her parents and go back from there, marking each person on your hard copy as you do. Be sure to use the automatic source as you enter the info. Keep your eyes open for familar names - especially if your ancestors came from the same general areas - you may find relatives on your mothers side already in the data base.

You didn't say where you found the info, so the genealogist in me reminds you to check everything yourself, as there are lots of poorly researched family trees on the internet (and in books!).

Ron Simonson
13 August 2005, 02:03 PM
FYI, in my experience it is easier to separate one group of ancestors than it is to join two files at a later date. I would start with your mother in the existing file and enter her parents and go back from there, marking each person on your hard copy as you do. Be sure to use the automatic source as you enter the info. Keep your eyes open for familar names - especially if your ancestors came from the same general areas - you may find relatives on your mothers side already in the data base.

You didn't say where you found the info, so the genealogist in me reminds you to check everything yourself, as there are lots of poorly researched family trees on the internet (and in books!).Thanks for the info Mary. The info came from family scources so I would think it is generally sound. A notation says that "I went to Pennsylvania and New York in 1857 because he thought it proper to secure a general family record for which this book was purchased, Man, would I ever like to have access to that original book if it still survives.

Thanks again for you suggestion. I had already started that way, but did not want to continue if there was a better way.

Regards Ron Simonson

martha
16 August 2005, 01:56 AM

<...>
Any suggestions would be appreciated.Ron, from my experience, I would keep the families in the same file. I split my father's and my mother's trees into two files because I thought they were getting unwieldy [5,408 in one and 14,000 in the other]. However, I find that there were many cousin marriages between the two families and I dread having to merge the two files again. If you want to do a pedigree chart, you cannot do it properly without having a joined tree.

Martha [in Israel]