PDA

View Full Version : Charting dates without locations

dchadduck
12 August 2005, 03:52 PM
I give up. Enough head scratching. Help. Know these are probably easy ones hiding right in my blind spot, but here goes.

How do I print a Pedigree chart showing names and dates but not locations?
They seem to just appear by default and take up more room than I have to spare when trying to do a large chart. I can't find the turn 'em off option.

In the same vein is there any way to print the born and died dates on the same line within the box? This is a concern when printing on my old 36" plotter and I can't scale it down to within 36" and still have it readable. Turning the chart is not an option, particularly when locations seem to be far and away the widest item in the box. I don't have a problem printing a 3' x 6' but often wish I could do 4' x 6'. Oh well.

I'm using 8.06 on an old G3 Powerbook with not enough Ram and OS 10.3.9.
Much thanks. Doug

ttl
12 August 2005, 04:53 PM
When you do your layout setup (choose Define Layouts from the Layout popup menu in the initial Create Tree setup window), uncheck the birth and death boxes in the Person Fields. Then go to the Name Setup Field, and then you can play with the various short date options that are available.

dchadduck
12 August 2005, 05:24 PM
Bingo! Thank you Tim. Visually I prefer the dates under the name but space restraints sometimes prevent it. This will help a lot. Just noticed another question. No dates show for second marriages on Pedigree charts. Or am I missing another one? Thanks again. Doug

David G. Kanter
12 August 2005, 05:28 PM
How do I print a Pedigree chart showing names and dates but not locations?To supplement what Tim has told you (with regard to eliminating Birth Place and Death Place in your chart) that solved your problem: While for other Events you can't eliminate showing Place data, under the Event-Format setting you can choose to enable the "Put Places on Separate Line" option. That can help automatically provide for narrower boxes. Of course, if the too-long Places aren't too common, you can manually edit them in the chart so as to wrap the line wherever you want--trading box width for height. That's especially useful if just a few very-long Places are driving a whole generation's boxes to be too wide.

Another data-entry protocol to consider regarding Places is to limit the Place entry to just the basic information (e.g., city, county, state, country) and put any more-detailed information (e.g., street address, name of facility where the event took place, etc.) in the Event Memo field. That, too, can help eliminate very-long Place data on a Chart, yet allow you to show everything in a Report by enabling the "Include Memos for Events" option in the Report Layout.

David G. Kanter
12 August 2005, 05:51 PM
No dates show for second marriages [in the source generation] on Pedigree charts. Or am I missing another one?Don't believe you are; that appears to be a bug as I can't think of any logic for showing the marriage-related dates, places, & status for the 1st of multiple marriages in the source generation, but not for the subsequent marriage(s). (As that's off this thread's topic, I'd suggest you post that issue, again, in the Wish List forum.)

Michael
15 August 2005, 02:54 PM
Don't believe you are; that appears to be a bug as I can't think of any logic for showing the marriage-related dates, places, & status for the 1st of multiple marriages in the source generation, but not for the subsequent marriage(s).Thanks Doug & David -- We'll look into this.