PDA

View Full Version : Entering sources as a group

brcox1
11 August 2005, 10:46 PM
Is there a way in Reunion 8 to enter the same source for information that was been entered on a certain date? I have entered new information for several people that I got from the same source (and forgetting to document it). I know the date I entered the information. What I want to do, if possible, is to do a search for all the information I've entered for that date and enter the source for it. I'd rather not spend the time going back into each individual person and entering the same source. That would be very time consuming. Any suggestions?

David G. Kanter
12 August 2005, 03:00 PM
Is there a way in Reunion 8 to enter the same source for information that was been entered on a certain date?. . .What I want to do, if possible, is to do a search for all the information I've entered for that date and enter the source for it.The short answer is "no". (Note: Unless a Source applies to everything entered for the person--in which case I make it a General Source--I wouldn't want Reunion to assign a Source based just on the date any information had been entered. Instead, I try to assign the Source just to the specific data affected. If, however, you want to assign a General Source to a set of persons [e.g., all those you've marked as described below], there is the Options->Set General Sources.)

Now for the longer answer:

You may be able quickly to identify at least some of the persons whose records you worked on that date--if that's better than just going to each person identified in the Source. While Reunion does not date tag each data element of each person's record--and doesn't date tag at all the marriage-related information (other than the addition of children via the blue "+" menu or keyboard shortcuts where both parents' Changed Dates will be updated)--there is the Changed Date for each person's record which is updated when you work on the data for the person only. If you have not worked on those person's person-only data since that "certain date", you can use Find Anything to locate all the persons last worked on that "certain date". (In Find Anything, set up People:Changed Date [it's in the Attributes group] Is <enter the "certain date".) If you then Mark just those found, you can quickly move to each of them (e.g., use the Tab key) and, hopefully, from your Source document, you will be clued as to which of the data fields were likely affected.

For those persons affected by that Source information, but whose Changed Date has been updated by having been worked on since that "certain date", perhaps your search will be sufficiently narrowed by having eliminated those found by the above process and then going directly just to the remaining persons named in that Source information. (If not, you can do another Find Anything for all persons with Changed Date After the "certain date" and browse through them.)