PDA

View Full Version : jpg v/s pdf for documents

sue royce
11 August 2005, 04:23 AM
I have been scanning both photos and documents (birth certificates etc) and initially saved the documents as .pdf files; working the assumption that Acrobat Reader is almost a default application for all systems.
However, after viewing the resultant photos on my TV via the DVD player and being rather impressed at the fact that I can now share these even with people without computers I wondered about whether it makes sense to save the documents also as

dfilpus
11 August 2005, 10:39 AM
A scanned image in a .pdf file is a .jpg file imbedded in the .pdf file. For the same resolution image, a .pdf file will be slightly larger.

If you use OCR to convert the document to text and convert the text to .pdf, then the .pdf file is much smaller and the resultant .pdf file is searchable and editable.

S. Craig
27 February 2006, 01:43 AM
Hello Sue,

Back in 2005, you started the following thread...

[QUOTE=sue royce]I have been scanning both photos and documents (birth certificates etc) and initially saved the documents as .pdf files; working the assumption that Acrobat Reader is almost a default application for all systems.
However, after viewing the resultant photos on my TV via the DVD player and being rather impressed at the fact that I can now share these even with people without computers I wondered about whether it makes sense to save the documents also as

David Foster
27 February 2006, 11:41 PM
Sue, you might consider saving both formats to a DVD disk. Although you can record only one VIDEO_TS folder per DVD, You can include as many other data files or folders as space allows. This would allow non-computer users to view the photos on their TVs via consumer DVD player, yet at the same time allow computer-owners to read the .pdfs with an Adobe Reader compatible application.

As far as adding caption information to the image itself, this would allow your non-computer friends and family to see the info on screen.

But if you find that distracting, just add it as meta-data with Photoshop, Elements, GraphicConverter, etc