PDA

View Full Version : Source/Preview/Copy limitation

Frank Mitchell
11 August 2005, 03:54 AM
I have just come across what appears to be a limitation in the Source/Preview window.

When editing the Free-Form part of a source I usually copy the source using the "Preview tab/Copy Source" button then paste it into a text editor. That way I can enlarge the text, minimise the risk of typos and look at other people in the family file at the same time. Then I copy and paste the edited result back into the source.

I just did this with a rather lengthy source and when I pasted the copy into a text document the last several lines were missing. If I had pasted it back into the source I would have lost a significant part of the information.

There seems to be a limitation on the amount of information that the Preview/Copy Source feature will hold, although I can't find this in the manual.

Is this true or am I missing something?

Frank

fjvanbodegom
11 August 2005, 04:58 AM
Indeed, the behaviour of the button 'Copy Source' (in the window Edit Source -> Preview) is confusing.
A 'Free-Form Text' field can contain about 30.000 characters.
The Preview windows show only a part (about 2.000 characters) of the 'Free-Form' Text field and the 'Copy Source' ONLY copy that part.
But when you do 'Select All' (when you are in the tab 'Preview') and then Command C, then the complete "Free-Form' text is copied.
Use the tab 'Free-Form' for copy and (after adding or correcting) paste text

It is possible that this is a 'glitch' in Reunion 8.06 (OS X) and I don't know if Leister is known with this behaviour of the Preview.
Perhaps Leister can respond ?

Frank Mitchell
12 August 2005, 07:18 AM
Indeed, the behaviour of the button 'Copy Source' (in the window Edit Source -> Preview) is confusing.
A 'Free-Form Text' field can contain about 30.000 characters.
The Preview windows show only a part (about 2.000 characters) of the 'Free-Form' Text field and the 'Copy Source' ONLY copy that part.Yes, that is what I thought was happening, Frans, but I would call it "misleading" rather than "confusing". As you say, its no big problem so long as the user is aware of the behaviour.

But it would be better if "Copy Source" did what it said rather than just copy the Preview.

Regards,
Frank