PDA

View Full Version : unknown maiden name

mrstucci
10 August 2005, 08:50 PM
I have several entries where I do not know the woman's maiden name. I have put the married name in "". This was fine till I set up a website and the software translated the "" into a strange character. So what do I change them to so that the gedcom imports into the website software correctly? Judy

David G. Kanter
11 August 2005, 01:05 AM
I have several entries where I do not know the woman's maiden name. I have put the married name in "". . .So what do I change them to so that the gedcom imports into the website software correctly?While I can't speak to how your specific website software will treat them, I'd suggest you try, instead, using the square brackets ("[" & "]") and see how they are handled by that software.

Mary Arthur
11 August 2005, 12:44 PM
I have several entries where I do not know the woman's maiden name. I have put the married name in "". This was fine till I set up a website and the software translated the "" into a strange character. So what do I change them to so that the gedcom imports into the website software correctly?Why not go back and correctly enter their maiden name as unknown, which would be clear to anyone reading the web site. Seeing "" or {}, means one must try to find the explanation on the site somewhere.

Judy Kilgore
11 August 2005, 07:18 PM
I have several entries where I do not know the woman's maiden name. I have put the married name in "". This was fine till I set up a website and the software translated the "" into a strange character. So what do I change them to so that the gedcom imports into the website software correctly? JudyI've found that the Mac's curly quotes drive every program batty (except those for the Mac, of course). You might try changing your preferences back to the "uncurly" quotes, i.e. "inch marks." Since I did this, I've had no problems with strange characters creeping into my shared gedcoms or reports. Judy K in Newnan, GA

kyuck
11 August 2005, 10:00 PM
I have several entries where I do not know the woman's maiden name. I have put the married name in "". This was fine till I set up a website and the software translated the "" into a strange character. So what do I change them to so that the gedcom imports into the website software correctly? JudyI use square brackets [ ] surrounding the spouse's LastName as the maiden LastName and the spouse's FirstName as "FirstName's spouse, xxx,"
e.g.
LastName, unknown
FirstName, Mary
married to John Smith
I record it thus:
Lastname: [Smith]
FirstName: John's spouse, Mary
Thus, when you create an "Index," Mary will sort directly after John.

WilliamTaber
11 August 2005, 11:00 PM
See this link for hints.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/review/20030827.txt