PDA

View Full Version : Help on a dead end

Cormac
26 August 2009, 05:31 PM
I posted the following paragraph, minus the stuff inside the parentheses, at the State of Michigan website that I talked about my post about Michigan Death Certificates.

I am looking for the death certificate for a Edward James McCormack(b.1857). My best information had it that he died in Feb 1899 and I assume near Atlanta in Montmorency County. I say Feb 1899 because his last daughter was born in Jul 1898 and his wife is listed as a widow in the 1900 census. He is supposedly buried at the family farm (which passed out of the family sometime after his death) about 6 miles SW of Atlanta. I have used almost every variation that I can think and I have come up empty.

I was wondering anyone here has some suggestions on what I might try next before I "blow" $26 and order a death certificate from the State of Michigan. I have looked on Ancestry.com, Familysearch.org and have found nothing.

dny47
27 August 2009, 06:24 PM
I am looking for the death certificate for a Edward James McCormack(b.1857). My best information had it that he died in Feb 1899 and I assume near Atlanta in Montmorency County. I say Feb 1899 because his last daughter was born in Jul 1898 and his wife is listed as a widow in the 1900 census. He is supposedly buried at the family farm (which passed out of the family sometime after his death) about 6 miles SW of Atlanta. [snip]
I was wondering anyone here has some suggestions on what I might try next before I "blow" $26 and order a death certificate from the State of Michigan.

Have you tried the Montmorency County genweb sites? Sometimes there are indices done by local volunteers. Search online cemetery indices. Also local historical society or genealogical society libraries often have uncirculated indices. Some charge a modest fee.

Once you get the date, you might be able to order the death certificate from the county. It is the county that originates the death info in MI and often their fee is less than the state fee. The photocopy produced to you will look the same, just with different "headers."

IMO, there is very valuable information indeed on a death certificate - I would advise getting one for everyone.

Good luck!

Kate McCain
27 August 2009, 08:55 PM
There's a great website for early death certificates, with images: Seeking Michigan (http://seekingmichigan.org/discover). A quick check didn't turn up anything by last name, but there are a lot of records for the county -- and I found two g3 grandparents whose names were grossly mis-transcribed by browsing all county records.

hanna grossman
28 August 2009, 09:41 PM
I posted the following paragraph, minus the stuff inside the parentheses, at the State of Michigan website that I talked about my post about Michigan Death Certificates.

I am looking for the death certificate for a Edward James McCormack(b.1857). My best information had it that he died in Feb 1899 and I assume near Atlanta in Montmorency County. I say Feb 1899 because his last daughter was born in Jul 1898 and his wife is listed as a widow in the 1900 census. He is supposedly buried at the family farm (which passed out of the family sometime after his death) about 6 miles SW of Atlanta. I have used almost every variation that I can think and I have come up empty.

I was wondering anyone here has some suggestions on what I might try next before I "blow" $26 and order a death certificate from the State of Michigan. I have looked on Ancestry.com, Familysearch.org and have found nothing.

If his daughter was born July 1898, he could have died October 1897. Seems your arithmetic added rather than subtracted 9 months.

Cormac
28 August 2009, 10:25 PM
If his daughter was born July 1898, he could have died October 1897. Seems your arithmetic added rather than subtracted 9 months.

When I posted this, I didn't think that he could have died after conception but before birth. Somewhere during my research, I got the Feb 1899 date. I don't remember where or who and I didn't note where or who I got it from. It could have been from the former owners of his farm where he is buried. I figured that the daughter was born and then he died. There was no math involved. I just followed the timeline that I had. Regardless, Edward isn't at www.seekingmichigan.org

I think my best option is to call the county clerk and what I can get out of them.

Cormac
01 September 2009, 03:21 PM
I think my best option is to call the county clerk and what I can get out of them.

Well, I called the county clerk's office and asked for some assistance. The nice lady on the phone said that they really didn't do anything over the phone, but that I should fill out a form on their website. It would cost $5 for the search and $10 if I wanted a copy. If they didn't find one, I would get $10 back. As we both said, that is a lot better deal than going through the State of Michigan (they want $26 with NO chance of a refund, full or partial).