PDA

View Full Version : How to Research with Name Variations

USAFA68
26 August 2009, 09:26 AM
I'm new to genealogy, so this is likely an FAQ of sorts. My great grandfather had the name Septer Ezra Johnston, but I've come across variations of Ezra (Esrey and Esra) in family records of sorts (letters, emails, and alleged citings on grave registrations, for example). How can you discover what's right? What if that name were never used by him or his family, and rather he used one of the variations for some reason? How do you handle the situation?

theKiwi
26 August 2009, 11:00 AM
In my situation, where a large part of my focus is on putting my information together and online I would enter it into the first name field as

Ezra or Esra or Esrey

this then allows people who might come to my site and search it to find the name no matter what variation they search on, and it allows Google to also index all the names so people searching Google would find it no matter which one they chose to search on.

Then in the Notes fields you could keep a record of where you found each variation.

Roger

USAFA68
27 August 2009, 06:17 PM
In my situation, where a large part of my focus is on putting my information together and online I would enter it into the first name field as

Ezra or Esra or Esrey

this then allows people who might come to my site and search it to find the name no matter what variation they search on, and it allows Google to also index all the names so people searching Google would find it no matter which one they chose to search on.

Then in the Notes fields you could keep a record of where you found each variation.

Roger

Thanks for the quick reply. Since that is his middle name, would I put those options within parentheses like this: Septer (Ezra or Ezra or Esrey)??? Or, would you not use the parentheses at all?

theKiwi
27 August 2009, 10:55 PM
I'd probably go with

FirstName Ezra or Esrey or Esra

and as noted, in the notes and sources, explain and identify where you found the different variations. The use of ( and ) might serve to clarify it for some people and confuse it for others.

Roger

USAFA68
29 August 2009, 08:34 AM
I'd probably go with

FirstName Ezra or Esrey or Esra

and as noted, in the notes and sources, explain and identify where you found the different variations. The use of ( and ) might serve to clarify it for some people and confuse it for others.

Roger

Thanks, that sounds good enough for me to use. Appreciate your help.