PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Reunion on Tiger

martha
10 August 2005, 03:04 PM
I am having the following problems with Reunion:

- The keyboard shortcuts only work after the 3rd or 4th try and not always then;
- I cannot enter a date with only numbers and sometimes when I enter a date with dd, month yyyy, Reunion tells me that it cannot understand the date;
- I frequently have to hit various names on the index to make it register at all, and only then can I do a typed name search.

I am using a PowerBook G4 512 MB RAM. Can someone tell me what is happening?

Many thanks in advance! Martha in Israel

martha
10 August 2005, 03:08 PM
My grateful thanks to Sam whose solution for transferring files worked 100%. [He suggested that I press the option key when transferring them.] Thank you, Sam!! Yeshar koach!

Martha in Israel

Freda Noble
10 August 2005, 10:24 PM
I too am having trouble with Tiger and Reunion. Have received much great help from several people for which I am grateful.

I want to use a "signature" at the bottom of my e-mail messages which includes the names of the families I research. With Eudora on OS 9, this was very easy to do, but with Mail on OSX, I can't get the window to accept the signature that I type into the blanks.

Also, almost everytime I click on the Index in Reunion, the Index has to go through the "rebuilding exercise." On OS9, this only happen occasionally.

I use a G4 Tower Mac with OSXTiger and Classic.

Freda

Michael
11 August 2005, 12:01 PM
These are some strange problems, but in all fairness, Tiger has been out for a few months and we haven't seen or had any reports of problems like this. At this point, I'd be inclined to think that the problem is limited to your machine. In any case, it's generally a better idea to contact us directly if you're experiencing technical difficulties.

martha
13 August 2005, 05:27 AM
These are some strange problems, but in all fairness, Tiger has been out for a few months and we haven't seen or had any reports of problems like this. At this point, I'd be inclined to think that the problem is limited to your machine. In any case, it's generally a better idea to contact us directly if you're experiencing technical difficulties.Sorry about not contacting you directly with this, Michael. I was trying to relieve you guys at Leister of being inundated with chump change, but if you would prefer, I will contact you directly. I have to say that I THINK I know what might have happened now. Instead of installing Reunion directly onto my new machine from the disc, I just transferred the entire folder from my older computer. Was that a no-no? And if so, how can I correct the problem, since Reunion is already installed from the folder that I transferred? [But evidently is missing some vital part!]

Martha in Israel

David G. Kanter
13 August 2005, 01:09 PM
I THINK I know what might have happened now. Instead of installing Reunion directly onto my new machine from the disc, I just transferred the entire folder from my older computer.Presuming your old computer was running a pre-OS X operating system, what you have brought forward is just the Classic version of Reunion. (For posts that are asking for help with Reunion, it is always worthwhile to explicitly cite in your first post in the forum thread which Mac OS applies as well as which version of Reunion you are using.) If my presumption is correct, I'd suggest reading on for some things to try pending further advice from Leister Productions.

First thing I would recommend is to run Repair Disk Permissions using the Disk Utility in your Applications folder->Utilities folder.

Then I would take your current Reunion 8 folder and move it from wherever you put it to your Desktop. (You do have backups elsewhere of your Family Files and your Mulitmedia folders, just in case, right?)

Then re-run the Reunion installation from your Reunion CD. Depending on which version of Reunion is on the CD, you will then have to run one or both of the free maintenance updates that are available from the Leister Productions Web site (http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/Version8/Updatev8.html). (You can see a more detailed description of the process in my post #25 to this previous thread (http://www.reuniontalk.com/showthread.php?t=374).)

The new installation (and the updates) will have put a Reunion 8 folder in your Applications folder. It will not affect any of your Family Files or your Multimedia folders, no matter where they are on your hard drive.

Now move your Family Files and Multimedia folders to wherever you wish to keep them (e.g., in your Documents folder or the default location within the Reunion 8 folder) and, as pointed out in my post #25, ensure Reunion knows where to look for those Multimedia folders.

If you are using an alias to any Family File or Multimedia folder (e.g., on your Dock), I'd recreate them to insure they are properly linked to the final locations of those items.

Once you've done the above and have ensured it is Reunion 8.06 (Reunion 8->About Reunion) and your Family Files are properly displayed, including any multimedia items, you can review for trashing what's left in the folder you move to the Desktop. (Note: If the About Reunion shows v8.06, that is the current OS X version as the latest pre-OS X version is v8.05.)

martha
16 August 2005, 01:47 AM
Presuming your old computer was running a pre-OS X operating system, what you have brought forward is just the Classic version of Reunion. (For posts that are asking for help with Reunion, it is always worthwhile to explicitly cite in your first post in the forum thread which Mac OS applies as well as which version of Reunion you are using.) If my presumption is correct, I'd suggest reading on for some things to try pending further advice from Leister Productions.

First thing I would recommend is to run Repair Disk Permissions using the Disk Utility in your Applications folder->Utilities folder.
Shalom, David! Thank you for taking the time to help! I should have included the fact that I was already using Reunion 8.06 on my former iBook G3, which had Panther OSX on it. I used a wonderful freeware program called "OnyX" to repair everything on my new computer. It did, in fact, cause some improvement in running Reunion, I am happy to report. However, some of the quirks are still present. Do you suggest that I reinstall Reunion, even though I have the latest version available presently on my new G4 PowerBook?

Once again, thank you for taking the time to help!

Martha

jimpres
21 August 2005, 05:43 PM
These are some strange problems, but in all fairness, Tiger has been out for a few months and we haven't seen or had any reports of problems like this. At this point, I'd be inclined to think that the problem is limited to your machine. In any case, it's generally a better idea to contact us directly if you're experiencing technical difficulties.I am running Tiger 10.4.2 on a Titaium 12" Power Book and have not had a problem with the OS install. I did the upgrade, easiest, and everthing works fine in Reunion. Well the Polish font characters are still a problem on the family pages. Hopefully Leister will fix it next version.

David G. Kanter
21 August 2005, 07:56 PM
I used a wonderful freeware program called "OnyX" to repair everything on my new computer. It did, in fact, cause some improvement in running Reunion, I am happy to report.I'll defer to your experience with such "helper" programs, but

Bob White
25 August 2005, 03:40 AM
I want to use a "signature" at the bottom of my e-mail messages which includes the names of the families I research. With Eudora on OS 9, this was very easy to do, but with Mail on OSX, I can't get the window to accept the signature that I type into the blanks............FredaDid you go into the preferences to set up your signature block? (Mail menu >> Prefences then click on Signatures near the right hand end.) Or did you already do this but it is not behaving as you expect? Based on your response, we can help you further.

Michael
30 August 2005, 03:08 PM
Just an FYI -- I'm working with Martha off-list to resolve her technical problems. :)

Christer Hellholm
20 September 2005, 08:08 AM
My problem is the slowness of the Index window. When I press the H key to jump to name Hartman, it's a lot slower (1 second) than in 10.3.9 (which worked instantly).

In 10.3.9 I could press H and E to jump to the name Hellholm.
In 10.4.2 it first jumps to the first name in H and then jumps further to the first name in E.

Both of them seems to be a bug in Reunion 8 when running on a Tiger (10.4.2).

Otherwise it's working great on Tiger.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.2 on G5 DP (2Ghz) with 2 GB RAM with 23,37 Gb available space on hard disk.

Bob White
27 September 2005, 07:43 PM
Have you done a Permissions Repair lately? Have you restarted you Mac lately? These are the two prime reasons for slowing down of usually fast items under Panther and Tiger.

Freda Noble
27 September 2005, 11:23 PM
My problem is the slowness of the Index window. When I press the H key to jump to name Hartman, it's a lot slower (1 second) than in 10.3.9 (which worked instantly).

In 10.3.9 I could press H and E to jump to the name Hellholm.
In 10.4.2 it first jumps to the first name in H and then jumps further to the first name in E.

Both of them seems to be a bug in Reunion 8 when running on a Tiger (10.4.2).

Otherwise it's working great on Tiger.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.2 on G5 DP (2Ghz) with 2 GB RAM with 23,37 Gb available space on hard disk.I too have had problems with the Reunion Index since installing OSX. For example, when I go to the Index and type in a name, the Index goes to the second letter I type, not the first. If I type JONES, the index goes to ONES. I have OSX.4. This never happened in OS9.
Freda

fjvanbodegom
29 September 2005, 05:05 AM
On my PowerBook with Tiger 10.4.2 and Reunion 8.06 the Index and typing(with more than 18.000 persons) work quick, no problems.
Might be your CPU is busy with, for you an other unknown processes, that consumes the most of the power of the PCU and cause the delay.
Be sure that only Reunion is working. Look at Activity Monitor, then you can find out if other CPU consuming processes are the course of the problems.

Tom Robinson
29 September 2005, 10:32 PM
when I go to the Index and type in a name, the Index goes to the second letter I type, not the first. If I type JONES, the index goes to ONES.
Maybe you're starting to type before Reunion is ready? If you start typing while Reunion is still generating the index window, Reunion will 'eat' your first keystroke.

Maybe you're waiting too long between typing the J and O?

Also check your CPU activity as fjvanbodegom suggested.

Dennis J. Cunniff
30 September 2005, 02:41 AM
Maybe you're starting to type before Reunion is ready?
I think this is the cause, but that doesn't make it any less of a problem. Computers should wait for people, and not vice versa! <g>.