PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Death Certificates & minor family genealogy mystery solved

Cormac
20 August 2009, 02:01 PM
I don't know if this has been widely told here, but if anyone here has ancestors that died in the state of Michigan from 1897 to 1920 can get copies of the death certificates at this URL, seekingmichigan.org. I have found a total of six death certificates for relatives that passed away in Michigan. I already had two of them.

There is a short story and a minor family genealogy mystery, that I like to share, that was solved because of one of the death certificates that I found. One of the death certificates that I found was for a infant relative that died at the beginning of the last century. No big deal, right? Because this relative died very young, I was curious on the cause. It turned out to be cholera infantum. Case solved, right? Yes. At the bottom of the death certificate is a space for the attending physician to sign. The attending physician in this case? The boy's uncle and his mother's brother-in-law. Some very interesting family dynamics must have been involved.

Thom Filbert
21 August 2009, 06:24 PM
CORMAC:

Thanks for the link. I found 22 death certificates for my relatives. What a great find.

Cormac
21 August 2009, 09:29 PM
CORMAC:

Thanks for the link. I found 22 death certificates for my relatives. What a great find.

Wow! I thought I saved a lot! @$26 a shot, you saved $576. That's if you wanted paper copies of those death certificates. You're welcome.

BKeller
22 August 2009, 09:36 PM
Not to change the subject of your thread too much, but I thought this information may fit here. There is a site for Minnesota Death certificates here:

http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Search.cfm

This index covers death certificates from 1908 to 2001, supplemented by death cards from 1904 to 1907.

They can be ordered for $9.00 each. I found information for two relatives here.

Cormac
23 August 2009, 11:03 PM
Not to change the subject of your thread too much, but I thought this information may fit here. There is a site for Minnesota Death certificates here:

http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Search.cfm

This index covers death certificates from 1908 to 2001, supplemented by death cards from 1904 to 1907.

They can be ordered for $9.00 each. I found information for two relatives here.

Ok, but the Michigan site is free.