PDA

View Full Version : Creating Complex Reports in Book Format

Sam Matthews
09 August 2005, 02:00 PM
I have been collecting all of the Salts family history for the state of Tennessee for many years and feel that I could be close to publishing. Not all of the families are linked together, but they are all within the same file. Is there a way to download all of the different Salts family trees into one formated book through Reunion or some other program? I would like for each mini tree to be represented by a chapter or section, which would be further subdivided by generations. I would like to have all of these trees indexed together in the table of contents, etc.

Could anyone tell me if there is a way to accomplish my goal? I could drag it all over to MicrosoftWord and hand index, set up sections, table of contents, etc. But with all this technology it seems that there should be an easier way to complete this project with the click of a button.

Many thanks, Sam

David G. Kanter
11 August 2005, 02:14 AM
. . .Is there a way to download all of the different Salts family trees into one formated book through Reunion or some other program? I would like for each mini tree to be represented by a chapter or section, which would be further subdivided by generations. I would like to have all of these trees indexed together in the table of contents, etc.You'd at least have a good start for a single tree by using the "Index" and "Table of Contents" codes that Reunion will insert for you. (See the last two options provided for in Options->Reports->Index.) For the special instructions on how to use those codes in Microsoft Word, search the Reunion Manual for "report index" and check out the first found item.

As for handling multiple mini-trees in one report, you might see how things come out if you make a dummy Family Card and link the tops of all of the mini-tress as children on that Card. While that dummy couple will have to be edited out of the report and will introduce a extra (not-for-real) generation to any numbering system included in the report and lead to false relationships (if you had Reunion calculate them for you)--and I don't know what other artifacts that you may find unacceptable--it might give you a meaningful head-start on what you want without you having to do all the index and table-of-contents coding.