PDA

View Full Version : Privacy filter to mark children of "living" people

artsmart47
07 August 2005, 02:22 PM
Is there a way to get children of living individuals marked private as a default? I know I can check the flag and this will keep those children private, but I realized that children of living people aren't private if I don't have a birthdate for them.

My database is over 13,000 and I just started a website and I realized that a child of someone marked "living" still shows up with their names. I would love to know a shortcut to mark these children rather than checking the flag one by one. If no one has any hints, I'll add this to the wish list.

Thanks.
Michelle

Michael
12 August 2005, 05:27 PM
Hi Michelle,

Unfortunately, this a tough one. Without dates, it's difficult to label someone as living or not.

As you mentioned, the best way to indicate privacy for a person with an unknown birth date is to set a flag for that person.

In your situation, the easiest way may be to set all possible living people as private in your file. To do this, you'll actually start out by marking deceased people in your file first.

To do this, perform a Find Anything search for all deceased people. This is the criteria you'll want to use...

Death Date Is Not <leave this field empty>

OR

Years Since Birth Greater Than 100

This search will give you a list of all people that have a Death Date or that have no Death Date but are older than 100. Since this search relies on the presence of either a Death or Birth Date, you can see that this isn't a foolproof method. If someone has no recorded dates and is not living, they will not be shown in the Found List of deceased people.

In the Found List for these deceased people, click on the Mark pop-up menu button and choose the "Mark Everybody in Family File." Next, click the Mark button again and choose "Unmark Everybody in List." This will leave you with all living people marked in your file.

You can then choose Options -> Set Flags. You'll want to set your privacy flag for marked people.

HuubTM
15 August 2005, 08:45 PM
Is there a way to get children of living individuals marked private as a default? I know I can check the flag and this will keep those children private, but I realized that children of living people aren't private if I don't have a birthdate for them.

My database is over 13,000 and I just started a website and I realized that a child of someone marked "living" still shows up with their names. I would love to know a shortcut to mark these children rather than checking the flag one by one. If no one has any hints, I'll add this to the wish list.Hi, Michelle,

I have had the same problems, but also other problems , with persons without unknown birthdate. So some time ago I started to give every person in my database with an unknown birthdate a "about" birthdate, in children I take a date 30 years younger than their mother, and in the case of found parents, 30 years older than their children. It makes life remarkebly easier, for instance in the Index, when you find a new person with a known birthdate, you can see at a glance if it could be one of your known persons, because "about 1780" can never be the same as 2-5-1850 for instance. Also when you start searching for doubles, you make it easier for the program to mark someone with birthdate "about 1780" as possibly the same as another, born 2-5-1782.