PDA

View Full Version : Years prior to 1000

artsmart47
07 August 2005, 02:12 PM
Has anyone used years before 1000? I've found connections back to France prior to 1000 and when I type in a year, like 980, it comes up as 0980. Is there a way to change this? I'd like to get rid of the "0" before the year? I can't find any preference for this.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Michelle

Michael
08 August 2005, 05:29 PM
I've found connections back to France prior to 1000 and when I type in a year, like 980, it comes up as 0980. Is there a way to change this? I'd like to get rid of the "0" before the year? I can't find any preference for this.There currently isn't a way to exclude the leading zero.

David G. Kanter
08 August 2005, 06:40 PM
. . .when I type in a year, like 980, it comes up as 0980. . .I'd like to get rid of the "0" before the year. . . .Although Michael has advised that, at present, there's no way to have Reunion automatically suppress that leading zero, I can think of a workaround: Use Custom Dates.

While I don't know exactly what date format you're using, if you enter the date with its 3-digit year (e.g., as "dd mmm yyy" or "mmm yyy" or "yyy"), but also with an Option-Space as either the 1st or last character of the whole entry, Reunion will consider that as a Custom Date. When you leave that date field, you'll get the Custom Date dialogue--with the Sort Date already filled in with the year as a 4-digit value. As the default button in that dialogue is "Save Custom Date", you can just click it or use the keyboard Enter (or, in this instance, Return) key. (Putting the Option-Space elsewhere in date entry doesn't always provide the "correct" default for the Sort Date.)

The downside of using the Option-Space is that the date literal will also include that space. (As I'd find a superfluous space less annoying as a leading space--rather than coming before a trailing comma separating the date from any Place-field entry--I'd go for using a leading Option-Space.)

You--or, perhaps, some other more-knowledgeable ReunionTalk reader--may, however, find some non-printing character in your font (whatever it is) that could be used instead of the Option-Space so as still to trigger recognition by Reunion as a Custom Date, but without adding the superfluous spacing to the date data.

STEVE
30 August 2005, 05:31 PM
Has anyone used years before 1000? I've found connections back to France prior to 1000 and when I type in a year, like 980, it comes up as 0980. Is there a way to change this? I'd like to get rid of the "0" before the year? I can't find any preference for this.Actually, that leading zero is a pretty good idea. 1) Keeps all the entries at four (4) digits (which the computer and sorting algorithm requires), and 2) lets everyone know it's not a typo and that you didn't mean 1980. It does look a little odd, but it makes for a solid working interface. When you get to the point of publishing, if you want you can search and replace that leading zero, giving your text a more "standard" look. Just wait until you have some entries like "0006". Also note that Reunion doesn't do BCE dates at all. A real bummer for some of us.

STEVE